PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My twins, with a bit of coaching, shot and scored for my birthday yesterday. They gave me a couple of estate Ben Wades, made in Denmark, and I was very pleased to note that the big honker is the somewhat more desirable Royal Grain. (For being so ungainly looking I've never owned a pipe with truer north to south grain.) These Danish Wades will probably be as close as I'll ever get to the legendary Preben Holm and one of his handmades and I'm pretty okay with that.
Here's the before pix, folks. Hopefully I'll have the scrubbed up Ver. 2 available in a few days.
photo-1.jpg

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Very nice gift... They have good taste.. (even if daddy coached!)

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Very nice! Ben Wade is a brand I don't understand. I see some beauties like that but I also see some really poor quality ones as well. Did they have different lines or different makers?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
@Brad, Harris and Roth - Many thanks, guys, but I do give their mom all the credit. She taught them early on that presents should be desired and to go to the extra effort to uncover what will make somebody truly happy.
Now, Photoman, the Ben Wade story is compelling to say the least and that poor brand is a classic example of what happened to so many of the great and now almost forgotten names in British pipemaking history. Here's a Pipedia entry that plumbs the details: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Ben_Wade
I got interested in the Danish Ben Wade burners for two reasons. I love Scandinavian pipes and I've had a mad man-crush on Preben Holm for years. He was one of the most gifted pipemakers and his life ended way too soon after his wife and family left him. The guy punched out in a bottle at the age of 42 in 1989.
A hand carved Preben Holm will probably always be a long way outside my budget but these two burners will help straighten out the trail. Holm obtained the Ben Wade name in the early 70's and rode the wave of Northern European pipe design for well over a decade. I'm sure he never laid hands on these pipes but he employed some of the greatest Scandinavian carvers known today and he oversaw their production.
Towards the end, as his health and production slipped, quality control went the same direction. So, there's a real good chance neither one of these pipes will smoke for shit but, in a weird way, that'll be okay. I'll turn them into good looking paperweights and just remember the time when his work used to set the world on fire.
I hope that wasn't too much information, pard. Writing in sound bites has never been something that appealed to me.
Fnord

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Very nice! Hope my kids someday buy me pipes for gifts :)

Hopefully they clean up well and smoke wonderfully!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Good article but I wish there were were ways of telling whether or not a pipe from ben wade was going to be a good one. Either way great looking pipes brother.

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
Such beautiful briar. Ben Wades can be so lovely, and in my limited experience they smoke like a dream. Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.