PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
Has anyone used a Big Chief (or Little Chief) electric smoker? If so what are you thoughts on temperature consistency, product longevity and overall use?

I'm not affiliated, just shopping for a smoker that isn't pellet fed.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Best electric smokers are made by Cookshack, but the prices will make your eyes water. At one point they were barred from competition, too easy to get good results, plus they don’t need much wood a couple pieces the size of a pack of cigarettes will easily smoke 80 lbs of pork butts. I’ve had one for over a decade and it’s still going strong.

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
Best electric smokers are made by Cookshack, but the prices will make your eyes water. At one point they were barred from competition, too easy to get good results, plus they don’t need much wood a couple pieces the size of a pack of cigarettes will easily smoke 80 lbs of pork butts. I’ve had one for over a decade and it’s still going strong.
Wow, those are nice!

Reactions: Scottmi
Jul 12, 2011
I have been looking for a smoker/cooker - I'm still focused on the Pit Barrel, not electric but I'm looking for a larger cooker / hang full-racks, brisket, etc.
1708224636035.png

A friend of mine got a 70lb La Caja China box awhile back, we did a 70lb whole hog, outstanding results - making myself drool....damn
1708224753689.png

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
I have been looking for a smoker/cooker - I'm still focused on the Pit Barrel, not electric but I'm looking for a larger cooker / hang full-racks, brisket, etc.
View attachment 289376

A friend of mine got a 70lb La Caja China box awhile back, we did a 70lb whole hog, outstanding results - making myself drool....damn
View attachment 289377
Yeah, I'm drooling too. Guy walks into the lunchroom around noon today with ribs he smoked yesterday and I can still smell it 8 hours later. It's burned into my senses. 😂

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
View attachment 289376

View attachment 289377
I have a PitBarrel and absolutely LOVE it. Cook on it 2-3 times a month. Truly a “set and forget” cooker that cranks out large quantities of excellent food.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Many people seem to get an acceptable meal out of an electric smoker. Seems to be what you provides you and friends with something you can tolerate or, even enjoy. Me? I wouldn't think of owning one. But, that's just my personal choice. I'm not interested in "set and forget." Smoking meat, potatoes and such is serious work to me. Proper prep, wood, temp control, and such means I'm involved from start to finish. But, if it was easy everyone would turn out beef, pork or whatever, indescribably delicious.

I think it all depends on what you desire as the finished product, If uninvolved cooking satisfies you ... go for it, choose electric.

Reactions: Scottmi

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
wow! watched their vid - i want some ribs!!

Reactions: Pappy Coon

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
My tennis buddy got an old upright freezer from goodwill equivalent, cut a hole in the side near the bottom and a vent up top. Runs metal dryer vent tubing to the lid of an old weber grill next to it. put an electric heating element in that, puts on his wood (or you can fire it old fashioned-like) and gets great results - salmon, crab, tomatoes, cheese. not hot smoking.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
I have a Little Chief. Probably had it for 35 years and it still works great. I just use it for smoking salmon. It doesn't perform well in cold, wet weather. You also have to use their proprietary shredded wood. I also have a Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill water smoker that apparently isn't made any more. Looks like there are similar smokers that are still available. I bought the Brinkmann after the Little Chief and as between the two I would recommend the Brinkmann style smoker as it is more versatile and less affected by weather conditions.

Reactions: Pappy Coon

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I just took a look at the Cookshack webpage, I'm tempted. I'll pick one and give it a few test drives. Maybe the SMO066 or SMO056. Seems capacity is the only real difference. This will be a major change for me.
Will give it a fair shot though.
I like mine. Since it can do its thing unattended I usually start my long smokes (butts, brisket) at about 9 PM, they are ready first thing in the morning. Add in a remote temp system (see Signals™ BBQ Alarm Thermometer with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® Wireless Technology - https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/) which will alert you if something goes wrong in the night and "Bob's your uncle."