Beware use of unspecified lighter fluid use in your Zippo!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Neerup Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Ardor Pipes
New Accessories
2 Fresh Pete Prevost Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Forgot to mention that I generally hold the match horizontal, occasionally slightly head down if the match doesn't fully ignite immediately. Man, more detail than I've ever thought about!

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Also I had drilled a hole in the middle of the lighter shield and I made my zippo into a pipe lighter.
You could have just sent it to Zippo and they would have put a new pipe lighter insert in for free.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Nothing to add about cleaning the Zippo, but it sounds like you may have tried using charcoal lighter fluid instead of a lighter fluid intended for a lighter. It's not nearly as volatile as Ronson or Zippo lighter fluid.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks, Checotah, and thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Pappymac, that is just what I want to investigate now, knowing so little of industrial chemistry. That stuff I bought is indeed charcoal lighter fluid, could it be a different chemical from naphta, or would it be not refined enough for use in lighters? Ericusrex said he uses VM&P naphta, sold at Home Depot by the gallon. So how can I know if what I'm buying will be volatile enough, when not specified for use in lighters?

mrbaho

Lurker
Sep 11, 2015
Use Coleman lantern fuel. I have used this for years. A one gallon can is $12.00 and it does not leave an odor. Your wallet will thank you.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Just did a little research around here. Went to Fred Meyers (a Kroeger store), WalGreens, Walmart, Bi-Mart, Safeway, and Albertsons. None carry Zippo fluid, only Ronsonol. Did find it at a cigarette & e-cig store, which was the first time I've been in one. FWIW.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I buy lighter fluid at then local discount cigarette store where I get most of my OTC tobacco. They carry both Ronson and Zippo fluid,as well as flint,wicks etc, but the Ronson is in a bigger container--and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.