PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Well, at my wife's insistence, I got a flu shot, even though I've had bad experiences with them before. Sure enough, within 15 hours, I came down with the "mini-flu", exactly the kind of reaction I've had before. So I've got chills, fever, aches, pains and general wooziness, although probably on a lesser scale than the actual flu I was trying to prevent.
The variety of vaccination I got is the type they recommend for older people, with live cultures and supposedly of greater strength (strange that they recommend more virulent strains for older folks) so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at the result. So, I'm not saying don't get a flue shot, just be prepared for the possible reaction. :roll:

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope your reaction can end quickly and that you do not get the flu for real. It is rough to get over it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry to hear it 4dot, I hope you have a swift recovery.
I keep hearing reactions such as yours and the makers keep denying the correlation. It's no wonder people don't trust pharmaceutical companies whose main reason for being is profit - not health care.
Nevertheless, even with this innate mistrust, I got a flu shot this year for the first time in over 30 years - still unsure whether it was the smart thing to do.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I get one every year at work. I've never had a reaction, but I'm not completely convinced that they work all that well either. The worst case of the flu I ever had was in a year that I had a flu shot.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 Pete! Last year, around this time I came down with a bad flu. Spent the next two days practically living in the bathroom. Had vertigo as well. Ended up missing a week of work due to it and had a flu shot a few months earlier.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Never had a flu shot. Last time I got sick was about 4 years ago. Low stress, good diet, and exercise go a long way.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I get a flu shot every year since my first son was born. He I turning 8 this year. Yes the shot can give you a reaction. Yes you can still get the flu after getting vaccinated. The deal is that after you get the shot and deal with the reaction. You have built some immunity while you suffered. Then if you catch the flu after this it is suppose to be less severe. That is the theory at least? Kind of a pay it forward kind of thing. Suffer a little now to avoid, or lessen some ugliness in the future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've gotten flu shots for many years, and had one five days ago. I seem to tolerate them pretty well. So far,

so good. I'm not a "true believer." Some years they choose the strain of flu more accurately than others.

I've had some nasty-nasty bugs, but they haven't lasted as long as the flu, so that's a net gain. You end

up being your own physician, in a sense, so you just have to go with your best intuition and information.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm like buster, but the last time I had the flu was in 1984. My wife and I were both out for a week, she was pregnant with our first child. I got a flu shot the preceding year and haven't missed since, nor have I ever had the flu again. I never get a reaction, save a slightly sore arm, so I must be one of the lucky ones. I hope you are already on the mend 4dot!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Never had a flu shot and it has been at least 20 years since I have had it. They still ask if I want one every time I go to the doc.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I used to work a job where they enforced us to get a flu shot...and every time I got the same symptoms you are describing...I hated it!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was listening to Dr. Tenpenny (yes, that's a real name). She says that along with other horrible things, mercury is used as a carrier, and that the older you get the less effective the coverage is. The nasal vaccine has MSG in it.
I'd never discourage anyone from getting a vaccine, I just like to know what they're putting into my body.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I already posted, but thought I'd add that I haven't been hit with the flu bug for about 30 years or more and never had a vaccination. So when someone tells me they always get vaccinated and never caught the flu (like my boss here at work), I am not 100% convinced the vaccine had anything to do with it.
At the same time, I am not debunking vaccinations completely, but let's face it, the system cannot be blindly trusted when there are massive profits to be made. All of that said, the last 2 years I finally got hit with the flu bug and it knocked me down pretty severely which is why this year I decided to give it a "shot".
If those close to me catch the bug and I don't, I will be inclined to believe the vaccination helped. Will be interesting to see what happens.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My Grandma always said the flu vaccine was invented by the government to kill old folks and steal their social security, so needless to say she never took one, and never got the flu. I'm sure it helps some people, but I'm the best thing you can do is have a healthy diet, get enough sleep and take care of yourself the year round. Also if you keep some amount of disinfectant (read alcohol) in your bloodstream, the little blighters can't live there. I've found they hate Lagavulin:)

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"Also if you keep some amount of disinfectant (read alcohol) in your bloodstream, the little blighters can't live there. I've found they hate Lagavulin:)"
:rofl: I wonder if Connemara will work as well.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I haven't had a flu shot in...forever. Myself, I wouldn't get the live vaccine, in fact couldn't get the live vaccine without some serious risks. Since you already did, I think you should continue to fortify your system with the Lagavulin, and the Connemara as well if necessary!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's really the Latakia that is keeping us all from getting the flu. They will discover that in

Status
Not open for further replies.