PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have some Wild Turkey American Honey whiskey. It's the most marvelous and smoothest sweet honey whiskey I have had the pleasure of sipping. I thought I might like to blend this whiskey with a bit of tobacco, and age it. However, I have a couple questions.
1) Which existing blend would be the best partner to marry with the honey whiskey? I dont know enough to take individual tobaccos and blend it myself. Also, I am unsure where/how to acquire the raw tobaccos necessary for blending.
2) How would one go about it? Would I dry out the tobacco a bit, and soak some honey whisky in a cottonball, and drop it in a jarred container for a few months? Would I dry the tobacco, and spray the honey whiskey over the tobacco, shake it up, and spray again, then jar it for a couple years? If th tobacco is too wet, it might cause mold, or even make the tobacco sticky from the honey.
Alternatively, I have searched for a good honey whiskey blend, but all I have seen are cigars. I suppose I could look for a honey blend, and a whiskey blend, and mix them 50/50?
Hrmmmm.. Your thoughts?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The best way to apply it would be with a spray bottle. Spray till wet, then let dry. You'll probably find though that the taste will be very subdued. You might want to add a little honey extract to enhance the flavor. For your leaf, try Whole Leaf Tobacco. They have Burley, Flue Cured (Virginia), Turksih, Latakia and Dark Fired. Once you flavor it you then need to shred it. An angel hair pasta maker works good but for just playing around you can roll your whole leaf into a cigar and cut thin slices with a knife.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I tried the blending with rum thing awhile back after reading about it on a pipe forum.
I measured out an ounce of tobacco and let it dry for a couple weeks while measuring the moisture content by weighing every day in grams. After two weeks the weight stabilized and I set a cap of rum in a ziplock bag and weighed it till it got back to 1 ounce. ( kinda anal,eh ? But, it's a hobby !! )
The blend was ok. Not as flavorful as I wanted it to be.
Good luck with it and report back. I have tried the Jack Daniel's Tennnesee Honey and it was good. I will need to try Wild Turkey Honey,can't be bad !!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I have tried the JD Tennessee as well, but its not near as sweet and smooth as Wild Turkey.
What I may do is just mix in some real honey into the whiskey, heat it up, and spray it on.
Thanks for the comments guys!
--EDIT
I may combine the two. Let the tobacco dry out, measure the loss, then take that much honey/honeywhiskey mix (maybe a bit more for evaporation) and spray the tobacco down, shake it up, and let it dry for a few days then jar it.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
You don't. By far one of the mist sacrilegious things you can do to whiskey.
To say nothing of the tobacco.
Do what you want, but for me, my whisky goes in a glass, and my tobacco goes in a pipe, and that's where they stay until I put each of them by turns into my gullet.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I used about an ounce of Sutliff straight Virginia slices in a 4 oz jar, and sprinkled about 2-3 tsp of Grand Marnier over it. I shook the jar up several times for a couple weeks. The tobacco came out a perfect fluffy texture. I smoked some right away and again after some drying time. Both were real nice smoking. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.