best tobacco for getting off cigarettes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I just tried as many tobaccos as possible, focusing on recommendations from people who seemed to like what I liked. I smoked cigs less and less, noticing a pack lasted a few days, a week, two weeks. Then finally, I had no urge to smoke them anymore. ODF, Lat bombs, Aged virginias, VaPers. There is so much variety, cigarettes just seem boring now. Good Luck !!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Good Luck EagleRon. I was lucky because I was scared into quitting cigs, and it worked great. :puffpipe: I came down with an extremely painful case of bronchontis and decided it was going to be the last...32 months ago.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Irish Oak by Peterson. Very smooth and tastes very much like high quality cigarette tobacco!
One thing is sure though, with the array of recommendations you'll be rather busy with your pipe.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I did it with carter hall and prince albert ... followed shortly thereafter by nightcap and then jackknife plug. The JKP really helped a lot when I discovered it, TONS of nicotine.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first 'go to' blend after losing the cigs was simply Sir Walter Raleigh.

I think it could have been Prince Albert or Carter Hall, but I ordered in a tub of the SWR and kept at it until it made sense.

It takes awhile for your brain to adjust to the different method of nicotine absorption.

Once you get 'the idea', any new blend will have a better chance to make you happy.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I just tried as many tobaccos as possible, focusing on recommendations from people who seemed to like what I liked. I smoked cigs less and less, noticing a pack lasted a few days, a week, two weeks. Then finally, I had no urge to smoke them anymore. ODF, Lat bombs, Aged virginias, VaPers. There is so much variety, cigarettes just seem boring now. Good Luck !!
Same for me. I didn't really intend to quit smoking cigarettes, but I'm glad it happened! One day I realized that I hadn't had a cigarette in several weeks. At that point, I decided I was converted to pipes for good. A good pipe tobacco is so much better anyway, and there are so many options. I hope it works for you in the same way, OP.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I also ended up quitting the cigarette but it wasn't that easy for me. The previous attempts always ended with me taking up the cigarettes again because I felt like the kick wasn't there. I don't smoke the pipe for the kick but I did miss it when smoking. I tried some of the recommendations from other forum users, but high nic tobaccos didn't help.

What made me stop this time? mmmh ... I really really really don't want to be a cigarette smoker. ... ever. And also, I don't fool myself, the cigarette has a strong hold on me and will always have, but one fight at a time, I can resist !!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
When I stopped smoking cigarettes many, many years ago, it was cold turkey. Exercise & a tall glass of cold water or iced tea helped to manage any nicotine cravings. Avoiding socializing with other smokers for several months was also useful. Also, I never again dated another smoker & married a non-smoker.

I avoided tobacco altogether for over 1 year to avoid the chance of desiring another cigarette.

At about 2-3 months I noticed that the smell of other peoples' cigarette smoke was vile & repulsive, At this time I realized that my system had reset & my behavioral dependence had ended.

Personally I do not think that I could have stopped as easily with the aid of pipe smoking or nicotine supplements. To this day the smell of cigarette smoke is unpleasant & I have not desired another cigarette.

This worked for me.

To borrow a phrase from alcoholism therapy, I am a recovering cigarette smoker.
When I returned to pipe smoking I found that higher nicotine tobaccos were & still are more satisfying.
Good luck, eagleron. You can do it.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I still smoke the occasional cig when I'm in a heavy conversation company. Otherwise, I stopped craving them in day 1 of pipe smoking...

mrwestminster

Lurker
Sep 12, 2016
As a (5 year) retired cigarette smoker, I have to say, some of the blends mentioned in this thread will give you a nicotine charge that not even chain smoking an entire pack of coffin nails can provide. Tread lightly.
Where cigarettes are concerned, it isn't the nicotine that I was most fond of. It was the tingly, burning sensation that inhalation of the smoke provided. In that respect, pipe smoking will not curb your cravings (if smoked correctly). For me, when I took up a pipe, I felt it was missing exactly that. To me, they are completely independent of one another in every other respect; than the fact you are setting tobacco on fire.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
For me, it's just programmed. There are certain activities that my brain associates with smoking cigarettes. Last time I quit, I had to give up coffee. I couldn't break the connection.
When I fell off the wagon again, it was because of being out drinking with friends. Started out with a cigarette or two bummed here and there. Then it was me feeling bad because I was bumming, so I'll just go buy a pack. That was it, back down the rabbit hole.
It's on my calendar again. Hopefully this time I will be more successful.
Good luck Eagle. You can do it.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Agree with @scrapsoftobacco that certain activities become associated with smoking. These are what I would call obligatory smokes:

First thing in the morning

After meals or with coffee/tea

Before bed
For most individuals this is 5+ times per day. If cold turkey is not possible. then cutting back to the obligatory smokes is certainly possible. I had a roommate who tamed his demon by chain smoking 3 strong cigarettes immediately before retiring to sleep, never smoking at any other times.
Other activities, such as after sex or while drinking alcohol are, for many, not a daily occurrence. Some may need to abstain from alcohol to be successful, while sex is avoidable, especially if you are married.
The buggers are the mindless smokes (not an exhaustive list):

While driving

Talking on the phone

Online activities, especially forums, chats, or other social media

Passive entertainment like TV, DVD/Blu tay/streaming movies/video

Response to stress (perhaps one of the strongest causes of recidivism)
Awareness of & keeping track of these mindless smokes makes them easier to control & become a recovering former cigarette smoker.

pappap

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2016
I smoked cigs for 45 years and a pipe off and on ,I retired and stopped smoking cigs I had about 8 or 9 nice pipes laying around and loaded one with BCA now I smoke pipe once or twice a week mostly PA or CH just a hobby now

Status
Not open for further replies.