best tobacco for getting off cigarettes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
When I did it... MacBaren Old Dark Fired.
Plenty of nicotine, great flavor and smooth as silk.
If that doesn't do it for you, Peterson University Flake, which has a great flavor, or Dunhill Royal Yacht.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I found Dunhill DeLuxe Navy Rolls and Escudo were the best in this regard for me.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Gawith Brown Bogie

Peterson Irish Flake
If ODF did not satisfy you, those are a notch stronger.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
The reason I suggested DeLuxe Navy Rolls and Escudo was for me it was less about the nicotine and more about flavour profile and association of satisfaction with it. Although both blends are far more complex, delicious and satisfying than the rolling tobacco I smoked the flavour profile is cigarette-ish. At least to me. I found Hal O' The Wynd helpful too.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky.

I think that it has more nicotine oomph than Old Dark Fired.

Both taste great.
Also any of the Gawith & Hoggarth or Sam Gawith ropes, & G&H Dark Flake
If you like Latakia, try Dan Tobacco's Old Ironsides

I don't think that there has been any studies that I've seen, but I think that the nicotine from cigarettes affects us really differently from pipes. Maybe it is the way we absorb it through our sinuses and small blood vessels. But, Pipes make me sleepy, and relaxed. I fall asleep at my bench during the day if I smoke a high nicotine blend too early in the day. Whereas cigarettes gave me a boost of energy. If I was struggling to stay awake as a cig smoker, I would just chain smoke. But that doesn't work for me with pipes.

Plus, when first starting on the pipes, even after a hiccup inducing, gut wrenching high nic blend, I kind of had that feeling like I still needed a cigarette, maybe for that lung feel, but pipes just didn't slide in easily as an alternative. There is still a bit of a transition feeling that you have to struggle through. For me, I chain smoked my pipe, still do, ha ha. But, I added in some jog/walking, bike riding, and even running. Now, I ride my bike for 45 minutes a day. That helped tremendously. I got my lungs back, and got to keep smoking, minus the inhaling.
Good luck. I hope you get through it. Being a cigarette slave sucks. At least being a pipe slave has more class.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I was a heavy cig smoker for a long time and I dropped them in favor of the pipe. At first, no pipe tobacco satisfied. Nothing gave that quick, full nic injection like a cigarette. So, I used nicotine supplements to smooth out the rough edges between pipes. After two weeks, I was able to drop the supplements. The cheap, generic, store-branded supplements work just as well as the much more expensive name brands.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
So, I used nicotine supplements to smooth out the rough edges between pipes. After two weeks, I was able to drop the supplements. The cheap, generic, store-branded supplements work just as well as the much more expensive name brands.
Yep, like Piffyr said. No tobacco allowed me to just "drop" the cigs. I got the same sort of feelings that Cosmic did. Would smoke my pipe till my head was spinning and still wanted a cig. For me, it was the nicotine gum that helped me get past these.
If it comes down to it and you get hooked on the nic gum... I would say it's still better than cigs. Just my opinion.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Thanks guys for all the good suggestions. I may try the gum along with the pipe. And get some of your suggestions on tobaccos. Strong and some flavorful.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Carter Hall did the trick for me. I used to nearly chain smoke cigs on the weekends when I would drink beer. Now I just smoke a few bowls of Carter Hall! It's an easy all-day smoke, inexpensive, an American classic, and tastes great.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Five Brothers straight up.

I got that suggestion a lot when I was trying to switch from sticks to mallets. Tried it and it still didn't have the same nic kick I was used to. I could smoke three bowls back to back and still want a cig. Supplements were the only thing that allowed me to go "all pipe".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any blend that you enjoy, don't have to smoke continuously, and don't contrive to inhale -- whichever those are. I think all suggestions here would work. Virginias, Va/Per, Royal Yacht, or any number of burley leaf and blends. Low and no nicotine blends may not work, like many aromatics, with the strength listed as mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.