PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
I am currently en route to Montreal and am wondering what the best pipe store to visit is.
When travelling I like to buy a pipe in any city with a good B&M - I like to have a memory associated with a pipe.
My AirB&B apartment is in the heart of Old Town, and walking distance would be a big plus.
Any help would be appreciated

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Andy:
I've never been there but I'm a huge fan of their burners.
Blatter & Blatter Inc.

375 President Kennedy Avenu

Montreal, Quebec

H3A 0B3
Cheers,
Fnord

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was there last August, and heartily second the above. I bought a couple of new pipes and an estate, very happy with them. The shop is tiny, the owner cordial, and the workmanship is good. I have never shaken the hand of the man who carved my pipes and that was an extra treat.
Worth a detour. *** Trois étoiles! :)
Enjoy

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Blatter Bros, oui d'accord.
http://www.blatterpipes.com/English.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To buy a Canadian carved pipe from the carver in his home shop would be a grand slam.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Blatter's is an institution. I like being able to buy my pipes from the same store my grandfather bought his. Don't miss it! The pipe in my userpic is a Blatter & Blatter bent Bulldog.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
You will not get a Blatter & Blatter pipe for a song, but you will get your money's worth.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"I like being able to buy my pipes from the same store my grandfather bought his."
What a poignantly beautiful comment, Fearsclave. (Quite possibly that's the finest remark I've read here in several weeks.)
Thank you for sharing and, BTW, your Blatter bulldog is a damned fine looking burner.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have time before or after the pipe shop, and along with your other business in Montreal, you might consider the river tour on the St.Lawrence. It's just a nice smooth cruise on deck or below looking through the big windows; however, if you pay attention to the navigation, it's something of a thrill ride. The river at Montreal has an intensely rocky bottom, and the cruise boat skippers have it down cold, but they sashay around various protruding rocks that stir up quite a turbulence. You get some history and a good view of the city's lay-out. Worth an hour for sure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd also second that idea. The St. Lawrence is an awesome body of water, and I use "awesome" in its original undiluted sense!
And take tea or lunch at The Frontenac. Walk the promenade.
Enjoy.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
Fantastic advice folks - and I am pretty sure there will be a Blatter and Blatter in the stable before the weeks out!
I will post photos....
PS: Love the comment about buying from the same store as my grandfather; I wish I still had that opportunity but the last real institution Pipe Store & Tobacconist in my home town of Adelaide, Australia, shut a couple of years back.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We can wait a few days for your pix! :)
And welcome to the forum! Where I live Sept. Is but 7 hours old and you have a half dozen posts already! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.