PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I didn't want to hijack a thread. In that thread the talk was of a particular brand of pipe being a good pipe for about $100.00 which I'm totally going to look into. I'm new to pipe smoking. I do like the briar I have. I don't know about the Dr. G's I have because I haven't cleaned them yet. (Yes, I have to work up the courage to do so.) I haven't smoked my girly pipe yet :oops: I'm not sure which tobacco to use in it yet. I want a dark one, but not settled on which yet. I love my cobs, but I have plenty of them. If hubby were to surprise me with a nice pipe, instead of flowers, for about $100, what's a good pipe for $100.00 (+/- $20.00) and why?

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
It really depends on what you want, I have had good luck with the Savinelli I recently got, for me smoking quality is worth much more than looks as long as it isn't too bizarre.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Tsuge's for their price I hear are great smokers. Savinelli's are great as well. I happen to love my Big Ben you can readily find those for an affordable price.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Can't go wrong with a Savinelli in a new pipe. If you don't mind estate pipes then look for an Il Ceppo. I picked up a couple nice ones for just over $100 each. Kelly is selling a new grade 4 over on the bay for $113, which is an absolute steal. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the money. Also check out Nordings. I don't have one yet, but lots of folks here love them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the $80 to $100 range, I really like Petersons, Johs, Lucianos, Britannia, and Nording. I'm recommending

those because I have broken them in and have had a good time smoking them. There are a number of others

that get favorable comments in Forums, Tsuge and Neerup among them. Also, I go with the Savenelli

recommendation -- I have two of those over 30 years old, and a more recent churchwarden, all just great.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All a matter of preference. For what it's worth though you can get some darn good smokers for that price range from Peterson, Savinelli, Stanwell, or Nording. I've heard good things about Brigham pipes as well (do I get anything for that shameless plug Brian? lol).

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Lots of good advice and things to ponder.

Savinelli

Nording

Tsuge

which are all sold on smokingpipes.com

I wish the had a "wish list" like on amazon. Then I could add the ones I like and hubby could choose one, or two :)

Kelly is selling a new grade 4 over on the bay for $113

Who is Kelly?
First of all there is no new pipe, anywwhere, that's a better value. Secondly, they are relatively small (which is why I don't already own a couple), and great for a lady. Thirdly, the obvious -- I am absolutely sure, that after you own a Tsuge, it will be your favorite pipe.

Nice! The Super Smooth Bent Brandy is sweet looking.
If you don't mind estate pipes then look for an Il Ceppo.

I saw a couple on ebay. Nice!

I'm still trying to work up the courage to clean the estate pipes I have. I don't want to ruin them, or blow up if I decide to use a retort. 8O

If I don't blow up the house, I can also keep a look out for these pipes at garage/estate sales and such.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I really like Petersons, Johs, Lucianos, Britannia, and Nording

added to the list! thank you :)

Are Petersons from the tobacco company?
Stanwell, or Nording. I've heard good things about Brigham pipes as well (do I get anything for that shameless plug Brian? lol).

Is Brian a pipe maker?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Brian Levine , the host of the radio show works for Brigham. He could also mean me as I tend to plug them a lot as a Canadian, but he likely meant Mr Levine

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
Brian Levine , the host of the radio show works for Brigham. He could also mean me as I tend to plug them a lot as a Canadian, but he likely meant Mr Levine

Oh. Is the show on in Buffalo?

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Stanwell! Stanwell! Stanwell!
(Mainly because I've never had a bad one.)

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
OK, since I feel so strongly about it, I'll hit it again: Tsuge from SPC is, by far, your best bet, Misu.
You want a new pipe -- it's a gift. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

AND!!! They do have a wish list!!!

I like this

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=98831

and this

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=122462

and this

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=118289

and, maybe someday this

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/tsuge/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=116160

oh boy! I think I'm coming down with PAD.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
This Brian Levine thing, I am thinking, is all about the podcast PM Forums does online.
If you're into that stuff (I am not), it's pretty easy to find.
I dunno if I am or not, but I can give a listen to see :)

I'm more of a car = radio, house =TV kinda person. Poscasts and audio books are for road trips

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
That last one is a girly pipe :mrgreen:

I think it's pretty. That's the first non-meerschaum flowery pipe I've seen.

Jul 15, 2011
Savinelli Baronet Bruyere pipes are freaking huge and a good smoker for the money, ~$60 depending on where you look. If you go a little extra and can hop on the phone early on a Thursday morning, you can snag a Boswell pipe for roughly a little more than $100, but they are well worth the money. I have a nose warmer and a fat belly, both of which I paid $109 for, and if you call JM or Dan and tell them your budget and what you want they will work with you and find a pipe that really suits you. This listing on the Boswell pipe site is very similar to the one I have, and you can't find a better smoker for the money. Boswell Nose Warmer

Jul 15, 2011
Big pipes = woman smoker = doesn't "fit" IMO.
Didnt really think of chamber size being an issue or a requirement, I was just relating experience on pipes that I have had good luck with.
Even as a nosewarmer, juck.
I didnt think it really looked all that great either, but the list price was right at $100, just posted to show that Boswells really does have pipes for that price. My nosewarmer is the black fully rusticated style and I like it much better than that particular one.

Jul 15, 2011
If a smaller pipe is more of your style, Baraccini makes some pretty good offerings. I recently had one turned into a churchwarden, and it has a nice red and black stain pattern to it. Roma also makes nice churchwardens and other smaller pipe offerings that might be something leaning toward a possibly more "feminine" style, and both Roma and Baraccini pipes are well under your price range. Bjarne Viking pipes are also reputed to be fairly good (never smoked one myself) and you can find them in Churchwarden and regular styles for around ~$50 or so.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
misu,

Read the Tsuge Tankard 50 Smokes post, I believe this will fit your requirement nicely but you'll need to dig around as pricing varies but I found mine within the range you are looking for. Regards....

banjo

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I think the thing that is most obvious here from the varied response is. as Long as you stick to some of the bigger names in that price range you are going to get a good pipe.
I would also throw into the hat Invicta Briars http://www.invictabriars.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.