PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hello all, I just wanted to bump this topic to give a really big thank you to @onepyrotec for his incredible generosity. He sent me a sample of Tewksbury Hobbits Weed, Tewksbury Real Cherry, and Gawith and Hoggarth Black Cherry. As a law student my pipe hobby sometimes must take a back seat to other financial requirements so the gift of being able to sample before I buy a tobacco is worth far more than the tobacco itself.
He is a reminder of why this forum is as great as it is even with the recent tumult. Thank you.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Never thought of myself as a Cherry blend smoker, in fact as I might have mentioned in another thread a tobacco I smoked for a few years was a cherry and I didn't even know that's what the flavour was. Anyway now that I know, I will smoke Altadis Z50 as part of my rotation. Its not a cherry forward blend but smokes great, good moisture content and enough tobacco flavour that its not like smoking an aromatic. Best thing is it's cheap!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I can't do cherry or fruity blends. I like my tobacco to taste more like tobacco than not. I figured that out real quick after going to Tewksbury and buying a bag of Hobbit's Weed and Strawberry Fields. I ended up combing the two in a jar with a full bag of Carter Hall. We'll see how that blend turns out later on down the road.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hobbit's weed from Tewksbury is probably one of the most expensive cherry blends I've ever seen. If the price is any indicator then it should be decent. Steer clear of Paladin Black Cherry, and Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla isn't really the best flavor wise or even room note wise for that matter. Many B&Ms have several Cherry blends in bulk. Maybe you could work out a deal for a sample of a few.

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
My favorites are Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red Blend and Lane Limited's Very Cherry. +1 lordofthepiperings. I am smoking MacB's seven seas :puffy: red right now, it is a pretty good cherry blend. Not overpowering with the Cherry but you can taste it..

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Hello all, I just wanted to bump this topic to give a really big thank you to @onepyrotec for his incredible generosity. He sent me a sample of Tewksbury Hobbits Weed, Tewksbury Real Cherry, and Gawith and Hoggarth Black Cherry. As a law student my pipe hobby sometimes must take a back seat to other financial requirements so the gift of being able to sample before I buy a tobacco is worth far more than the tobacco itself.
He is a reminder of why this forum is as great as it is even with the recent tumult. Thank you.
You are quite welcome :) I didn't realize at the time you were a student on a budget, so I can appreciate how far a dollar must stretch for non-essential items. I'll pop a tin of the Drew Estates Cherry and send along a sample of that too. BTW, don't blame me if it is horrid stuff, I haven't tried it yet myself :rofl:

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I like Lane's TK-6 as it is a little less candy cherry than very cherry. I also really like Russ' Snow Drift, but this comes across as a cherry cordial/chocolate. TK-6 can be had for dirt cheep too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm not much for cherry blends, but I'll recommend the ones I have liked: G&H Top Black Cherry, Sutliff Z50 Black Cordial, Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish, and Sutliff PS St. George's Blend.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
A family friend who I discovered was a pipe smoker allowed me to try some of his "Personal Reserve" where he blended a high quality Virginia with a cherry blend and topped the combination with some scotch before aging it for four years. It was wonderful and I agree mso, the cherry should be a condiment flavor. That being said I loved the hint of cherry so looking for some to make my own blend.
I agree, the best Cherry I every smoked was a 50/50 blend of vanilla & cherry aromatic's I made up myself from a very nice vanilla aromatic and a syrupy and slightly biting cherry aromatic. Very nice and a worthwhile endeavour..

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I've only tried a few cherry flavored tobaccos but the only one I have liked was Gawith & Hoggarth Top Black Cherry. It tasted like cherry, not like the chemical "cherry" often found.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No one's mentioned it, and I wouldn't try it myself, but on a cherry blend thread maybe it's appropriate

to note that G&H makes a rope that is cheery flavored. Rope is full strength tobacco, maybe more than

full, so go forewarned.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I recall really enjoying the Gatlin-Burlier's Cherokee Cherry when I smoked it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Melvinsunsmoke: I did not like the CB Red Sky. Here's my review of it:

The cherry is the major flavor, though I do note the presence of vanilla from the black cavendish, a little toasty burley, and a hint of grass from the Virginia. It's fairly creamy, burns well with no bite, though there's a little dottle. The drawback is that the cherry taste is artificial at times to the point where I got a few light chemical notes - mostly at the beginning - and it's occasionally a little syrupy. Not a bad cherry blend, but rating it against others, it doesn't measure up.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
SG/Celtic Talisman seems to get good reviews from people who start out saying, "I don't like aromatics, but..."

samuel-gawith-celtic-talisman.jpg
Bright Virginias, Burley and Black Cavendish with cherry topping

Status
Not open for further replies.