PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyanchors

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
I have some Sailor Jerry (91 proof) spiced rum sitting around the house. Could I use that to clean my pipe?

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
The bulk of the tars and such that you are trying to remove from your pipe are not soluble in water, but they are soluble in alcohol. So, the higher the proof, the better. Isopropyl alcohol should work about as well as Everclear, though some don't like the idea of using anything they would not drink. I can't buy Everclear where I live, so I get by with whatever happens to be around. Usually vodka, because good Scotch has an important role in pipe cleaning, but it does not involve dipping pipe cleaners. Vodka is not as good as Everclear (or isopropyl alcohol), but it is better than not cleaning at all.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I also use "everclear" which is "pure" grain alcohol. Like mrjerke, it bugs me because the counter person looks at you strange and says "I have to get it from the back room, Oregon law prohibits us from keeping it out in the open."
A pint will last me a lifetime.
Barring that, I too would use 151 Bacardi, even though conventional wisdom dictates that you do not use a flavored product. Vodka does not work as it has way too much water and it takes a long time to dry water logging your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.