PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I haven’t done an actual count but I suspect that straights and bents (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and full) run neck and neck in my herd

I buy pipes based on their looks rather than straight vs bent

I have straights that gurgle. The majority of my bents don’t

Most of my straights are not sitters.
And there are bents that are.
0BD8D470-A587-4AD4-BEB3-8F717BC7FA29.jpeg

😁

Go with what you like

Reactions: FLDRD

PaulDM

Lurker
Dec 12, 2022
As a Canadian I really want my next pipe to be a Canadian, I love the look of them, the more wood the better I think. I imagine they probably smoke cooler and dryer because of the extra shank length is that truenin your experience with them?
Can't say with certainty that a Canadian smokes cooler. I am skeptical that a longer pipe does much to cool the smoke. I think overall construction, cadence, packing method etc is much more important. What I do like is that it definitely keeps smoke out of my eyes and I find it very comfortable.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
Went to straights 100% when I was on the road driving for several hours a day. Had too many incidents of smacking a bent pipe into my shoulder and nearly breaking a pipe or teeth when turning my head quickly in traffic.

Reactions: UB 40
G

Gimlet

Bent for me. Less strain on my teeth and jaw. I tend to set the pipe in my mouth and leave it there, never touching it except to tamp or re-light. Favour a bent apple or Rhodesian. Tried a church warden and nearly knocked my teeth and tonsils out bumping into things.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
Straight for me as I don't like to clench. I also like the aesthetic of a straight pipe more.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
frankly can't really say. There are other things like size of hole that certainly effect draw. Basically if no one can say there is a difference then there isn't a noticeable effect. I say it's more about what's comfortable to you. I like bents more and it's got nothing to do with the draw just like the way it feels.

G

Gimlet

Interesting there's so many mentions of gurgling. All my pipes are 9 mm filtered and I don't get any of that. And I rarely take my pipe out of my mouth while smoking it.
I use Dr Pearl charcoal filters. Having tried most of them without, it seems the filter doesn't reduce the flavour in any way. In fact I think the flavour is enhanced because it's not fighting the taste of tar. They just keep it dry and remove any sting. I smoke some quite strong Lakeland flakes and they smoke beautifully smooth.

Reactions: anotherbob
G

Gimlet

frankly can't really say. There are other things like size of hole that certainly effect draw. Basically if no one can say there is a difference then there isn't a noticeable effect. I say it's more about what's comfortable to you. I like bents more and it's got nothing to do with the draw just like the way it feels.
I'm the same. My favourite pipes are a pair of bent apple Savinellis. The mouthpieces are nice and broad. They sit in my mouth and I hardly know they're there. I've got a straightish Vauen with a fairly narrow stem and I can feel that straining my teeth and jaw immediately.

Reactions: anotherbob

jediofthecode

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
France
I'm the same. My favourite pipes are a pair of bent apple Savinellis. The mouthpieces are nice and broad. They sit in my mouth and I hardly know they're there. I've got a straightish Vauen with a fairly narrow stem and I can feel that straining my teeth and jaw immediately.
Which model ? I have a sav 626 and it's gotta be my favourite pipe by far.

G

Gimlet

Which model ? I have a sav 626 and it's gotta be my favourite pipe by far.
I have a 9 mm Tigre 642 (polished) and a 9 mm Miele 642. Lovely pipes. I smoke exclusively GH Best Brown flake in the Tigre and GH Coffee and Caramel in the Miele.

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
Inadvertent post - I'd delete it but don't know how. Pardon.

Last edited:

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
My bents gurgle more and have found it to be especially so now that the weather is getting cooler. Keeps reminding me to smoke slower!

Before buying a bent I always see if a pipe cleaner can be run easily down to the bowl, so I know there is a remedy if it starts to gurgle.

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
I started with bents simply due to aesthetics; I thought they looked better and I preferred how they felt in my hand.

Now that I’ve got plenty of straights and bents and whatever else shape in my arsenal, I think they all smoke the same in terms of draw.

Wetter stuff tends to favor the bents as does clenching. These days, my bents usually come out when I need movement or activity flexibility or need to read/work. Straights are for my relaxing, sitting, smokes.

Reactions: FLDRD