Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sunnysmokes

Lurker
Oct 10, 2023
Tropical United States
Just starting out I have a straight Oceano dedicated to aromatics and a bent apple Arancia dedicated to non-aromatics. I find reasons why I like one or the other and draws me to smoke one blend or another too. I think I eventually want to have 5 pipes: 2 for aromatics and 3 for non-aromatics. I'm much more interested in the tobacco than the pipes for this hobby, so I want to have a minimal reliable setup that can sustain me perpetually.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have almost all bent due to the look which I tend to prefer. However, seeing peoples pipes on this site is slowly opening my interest to straight pipes.

Where can I send my PAD bill?

G

Gimlet

I have almost all bent due to the look which I tend to prefer. However, seeing peoples pipes on this site is slowly opening my interest to straight pipes.

Where can I send my PAD bill?
Me too. Opens up a much wider range of pipe options as well. I would need to learn to hand-hold a straight pipe rather than clench though.
I have a straightish Vauen apple and it really strains my teeth.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Just starting out I have a straight Oceano dedicated to aromatics and a bent apple Arancia dedicated to non-aromatics. I find reasons why I like one or the other and draws me to smoke one blend or another too. I think I eventually want to have 5 pipes: 2 for aromatics and 3 for non-aromatics. I'm much more interested in the tobacco than the pipes for this hobby, so I want to have a minimal reliable setup that can sustain me perpetually.
That's how it all starts. Soon you will want a pipe for each day of the month.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Never noticed any difference in draw but they sure do effect weight.
A straight has to be under 1.50oz and 5 5inch long or I won't waste my time and will probably hate smoking it. While a bent I look for 6-6.5 inches in length and preferably under 2oz but have and love many up around 3oz.

Reactions: Cloozoe

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
If the pipe is well made, I see no difference.

I always make sure before purchasing a pipe that a cleaner will easily run through to the bowl, even on a full bent like below.

Attachments

• roushe.PNG
    roushe.PNG
    818.5 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Tate

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I have bent and straight pipes. The draw is the same on them but the bent can gurgle if not cleaned properly. Straight is great for working while smoking and bent is great for reading.

Reactions: Tate

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
No; the draw is the same whether it's a bent or straight stem. The determining factor of the ease of draw is the size of the draft hole.

I think you have to buy pipes that you find appealing. If you don't like the way the pipe looks, you won't want to smoke it. I prefer straight pipes. I like the look. Easier to send a pipe cleaner through. If you're a wet smoker, a bent pipe is usually harder to send a pipe cleaner through to collect any moisture. I have a few bent pipes, and they're fine, but in my experience there's more moisture that can collect at the bottom of the bowl.

It really depends on the pipes that visually appeal to you. Try both and see which suits you best.

lvacgar

Lurker
Feb 27, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
As a part of your pipe journey, it’s important to try both at length. They smoke similarly overall. I have straight pipes of varying lengths, and all manner of bent pipes from 1/4 bent to full bent. The mood, activities, blend all affect the pipe I reach for. Variety is the spice of life.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I don’t smoke indoors, so sitting at a computer, reading a book, etc don’t come into play for me.
I clench 80%+ while I smoke, and a straight pipe hangs the way I clench, so a bent would be along my jaw.
Bent pipes gurgle for me, but honestly haven’t tried one in months,so my technique may have improved.
All that said, I do wanna try a Pete 317, 303, or 314.

My best advice would be to balance pointsheard from others with trying a bent out for yourself.

Reactions: FLDRD