PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great advice and various opinions. One excellent nugget -- take your time. The vast variety of blends and tempting reviews and descriptions make us all want to order 25 different blends at once. The rewards of backing off and taking your time are huge. No harm in ordering small quantities. Stick with one or two blends for months. Part of enjoyment is learning to enjoy, and one major secret is taking your time.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I am the pipe newb in the room for sure. And this advice to pick a single tobacco and spend some serious quality time with it In order to crack the mystery of it makes so much sense I can't even deal. I have gone out a tried probably a dozen differs types of tobaccos, one or two bowls each, looking for my preferred style. And I'll be the first to admit that I don't think I've gotten any of the true enjoyment that ANY of them have to offer because as soon as I've tried one and have the flimsiest grip on how it tastes, I feel compelled to try the next one and the next and the next. The end results is a haze of poorly informed opinions about what I think I like.
So I have decided that I'm picking one single tobacco, and I'm going to smoke only that tobacco for the next 60 days. All of June and all of July.
Here's the question that I'm sure you all knew was coming… What tobacco should I pick to spend two months with?
My limited dabbling has led me to believe that English tobacco is generally too gruff for me, but aromatics are generally too sweet…

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm going to recommend my everyday favorite, Dunhill Early Morming Pipe. It's available in bulk, affordable and very tasty. You'll see opinions that are all over the map on this and others but I'd say ignore them, form your own. I recommend this blend because it is easy to enjoy if smoked properly and by that I mean slow. Once your pipe is lit and going good, just sip. This advice applies to ALL pipe tobacco btw. There's just a hint of Latakia present and some say there really isn't any but I can get just a hint.

This blend will allow you to learn how to get to know a pipe tobacco because of it's very subtle complexity, there's a lot going on with it if you take your time and really get to know it.

From here your possibilities are endless, I smoke a plethora of different blends weekly but I start each day with my beloved EMP.

Enjoy!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.