PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjarrett88

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Anybody ever put anything on the tenons? I was thinking of rubbing some bees wax on them to avoid possibly breaking something on these snugger fits.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I stole my wife's tube of Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm shortly after getting a few pipes. A tiny wipe on the finger is more than enough to treat a tenon and help with a tight fit.
Rumor has it that it also miraculously helps with a loose fit, but I've not yet had that problem. Make sure it's uncolored and unflavored, just the plain beeswax.
jay-roger.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It can be used for either or both if you prefer!
But not leaving the stem out for more than an hour will help with problems of fit. (The mortise dries: too tight feeling. The mortise dries: too loose as the hole enlarges as it dries.)

Jan 8, 2013
Rumor has it that it also miraculously helps with a loose fit
It does indeed. Works like a charm. I heat a bit of it up to liquid form, dip a q tip in it, let it cool slightly (only takes a few seconds)so that I'm not putting it on the tenon hot, and then rub it on. Works great.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Most of my experience with beeswax comes from other people advising me to mind my own. Not sure how they even knew I had any... :|
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.