PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
This is an "English" blend from B&B Tobacconists that they compare to MM965. These two blends are certainly similar enough that I cannot imagine that someone would hate one and love the other. I've had both OLB and MM965 open these past few weeks but in the future, I probably would not. Though not identical, for me they kind of scratch the same itch so I don't need both in rotation at the same time. To that extent the comparison is accurate. Initially, I wanted to make a review of Beck's OLB in its own right, but given that even the blender compares it to MM965 it seemed inevitable that some will ask how it compares to MM965. So, some comparisons to (current) MM965 were impossible to avoid. My two ounces were purchased from 4Noggins.
Beck's is a blend of Virginia, latakia, cavendish and burley. In contrast, MM965 contains some orientals but no burley. The baggie note (it is a bulk blend, so I cannot bring myself to say "tin note") is sweet and smokey. Not sweet like an aromatic, but sweet: behind the smokiness of the latakia is some dried fruit – raisins or figs, maybe. But, do we really care? This is not potpourri – I buy tobacco to smoke and, as long as it is not repugnant, I don't care much how it smells in the baggie or the tin. So, let's get to the packing and smoking.
This is a ribbon cut, somewhat on the coarse side, much like MM965. The moisture level was good as delivered and I have not dried this before smoking. Then, again, I rarely dry tobacco – I'm not very patient. It packs nicely and takes to fire nicely. In that way, it is similar to MM965. I must say that Beck's OLB and MM965 are among the coolest smoking blends I can recall. I have a tendency to puff like a locomotive, but this never over-heats on me. Maybe this is a cavendish thing? Nevertheless, and despite my best efforts, Beck's always leaves a bit of dottle at the bottom for me, which is a bit surprising because this blend burns beautifully and almost never needs a re-light. Thus, I expected this to burn clean to the bottom of the bowl. This is probably my fault, but it bears mentioning. Perhaps I should try drying it a bit?
On first light, the smokiness of the latakia is the dominant flavor. I generally find this to be true of blends that have more than a pinch of latakia. Mind you, I'm not complaining. This is kind of the point of a blend with latakia. A quarter of the way into the bowl the cavendish becomes more apparent. It gives a richness and smoothness that is like a malty, as opposed to hoppy, beer. The smoke is copious, rich, creamy and earthy. All the while, the latakia brings a bit of leather to the tongue. There is a bit of muted spiciness, which I assume is from the Virginas.
As I get deeper into the bowl, I definitely notice the burley. Once my taste buds grow used to the other flavors in a blend, there is a certain sameness to most blends that contain burley. I like burley, so this is not a bad thing, but if you don't this might be something to consider. In contrast, MM965 has no burley but I sometimes detect some cigarette-ish flavor and aftertaste. This is the part of the smoke where I notice the most difference between the two blends.
Since I smoke outdoors, I can't say much about the room note. It is not so bad that anyone on the porch has complained, but I certainly have not received comments the way that I do when I smoke a little Autumn Evening or Lane 1Q.
When I first tried Beck's I would have said it was OK, but not a regular for me. I tend to like some orientals with my latakia and missed that at first. I've warmed up to it and have been smoking it a few times a week for the past month. Now, I like it quite a lot and I'll definitely be buying more. I'll probably alternate between Beck's and MM965 in rotation for a while. Eventually, I may decide that I prefer one over the other, but for now that jury is still out.
Beck's is smoother and softer around the edges than MM965. This is most noticed when retro-haling. Like MM965, Beck's is a well-balanced blend that packs and smokes easily and contains enough latakia to satisfy everyone except those who crave lat-bombs. I'd not recommend this as the first latakia blend for a newbie, but if you've tried some lighter English blends and wish to step up in flavor, or already enjoy medium English blends, this one is worth a try. And, you've gotta love the name.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Apparantly Ol Limey Bastard is like the Old 965 before Orlick re-released it.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Hi,
I loved the Murray's 965, but can't stand the Orlik incarnation. I am now smoking Ashton Consummate Gentleman instead, which is a try to match the old 965, too. I should try that OLB.
Kind Regards,

Peter

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Never had the MM965 tobacco, but I do smoke Ol Limey and like it a lot, drying it does help.

Thanks for the review.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Peter,

Not having ever had the Murray's version, it would be interesting to hear how you think Ol' Limey compares to the Murray's version of MM965.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yes try the OLB because it's supposed to be a match for the murray's version.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I have a few ounces of this Jarred up and in the back of the cabinet. I did not care for this to much. Nor the other English blends that I sampled from B&B. At the moment I am not too keen on a lot of latakia. I am going to revisit this later down the road and give her a go. Everyone that I have talked to about this blend has nothing but great things to say and I don't want to write it off just yet. Great review on this blend by the way!

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
A fine blend from the late Randy Beck. I have some left made by him kept in a special jar.
OLB is a favourite of the London Pipe Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.