Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
A drop of 100% jojoba oil and a boars hair beard brush.
The oil actually penetrates and protects the hair follicles, also very good for an eyebrow treatment.
It helps to restore the growth !
Good for your briars and meers too :)

Reactions: JOHN72

Salvince

Lurker
Feb 8, 2024
Did a forum search and didn't come up with anything hugely useful. Swiftcraftymonkey also came up blank. I'm looking to make a beard oil for DH. Anyone have a recipe they like for such a product? It's probably going to be left unscented, since he tends to either not like scents, or not be able to smell them at all. I do want it to be a liquid at room temp product, so he or I can pour a little into the palm of a hand and work it through his beard.

I have... alot. Avocado, apricot kernel, babassu, coconut, canola, sunflower, olive, castor, meadowfoam, rice bran, and argan oils, liquid jojoba, lanolin, mango, cocoa, shea and kokum butters, beeswax, candelilla wax, vitamin E, a bottle of toasted sesame oil normally used for cooking (and it's YUMMY! though I'll part with a little for this if it adds nice effects)... Not even going to consider orange peel wax for this, the scent is too strong. Essential oils included for conditioning effects might be considered, but I'd have to run each one by DH first.

I figured I would ask here first if anyone had a recipe they like to use before striking out on my own and making it up as I go. My first batch is going to be maybe an ounce or two, just to try things out. Actually, either way, I may well start off by trying each oil I'm considering individually over the course of a week or two.
Ah, this is my bread and butter. I listened to several beard experts on YouTube and did my own research.

The best beard oils can be kinda expensive, but it's the ones that use pure oils and vitamin E that are the best.
I typically go with independent oil producers like Fable Beard Co or Badass Beard Co. They use quality oil, normal vitamins for the skin, and a little bit a day will go a long way.

Always remember, oil is for the skin underneath your beard, not your actual beard. You're buying a skin care product to make sure your beard is being fed. Remember beards are made from the same stuff as your hair.
I recommend always going with scentless oils just because if you want to give yourself a fragrance, beard butter would be a great addition to your routine. Beard butter is recommended because it's tames a beard and conditions a beard to be softer.
I would avoid using balm because it prevents moisture from going into your beard which dries it out. Even if you oil prior, I would only use balms or waxes for special occasions. Oil and butter is usually all you need along with a good beard brushing to stimulate the follicles and skin underneath.

If you're looking for growth, minoxodile on bare skin 2 times a day for a year or two. It does also reduce blood pressure, so if you have high blood pressure, this will even you out.

Also, if you see a lot of additives in your beard oil that you don't recognize, dont use it. you'll see some from Old spice or big name body wash/deodorant companies, they make fake beard oil and I would avoid it all cost.

Those are my thoughts, I hope it helps.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont know much about oils but I do know that Beard Club shampoo is great on a beard and for cleaning skin underneath. Gets rid of beard dandruff fast and feels good on the face too. Probably the teatree oils in it.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Paul Mitchell Awapuhi The Original Conditioner. All natural leave in conditioner. Excellent skin moisturizer. Dries quickly. Been using it over 40 yrs; nothing better IMHO. YMMV. The ladies in my family prefer it now too. Everything else is greasy and sticky. Try it once, you'll see.

Reactions: JOHN72

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There's a guy on the internet who purchases 101 acres in the middle of nowhere West Virginia and named NarroWay Homestead that seems to have a thriving business selling on the internet including things for beards.
Here is link to the page NarroWay Homestead.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Maybe I’m just cheap or stupid, but I use my a little bit of what I put on the rest of my face after a shower: Lubriderm. No beardruff or itching