PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Topping out at 2,500+ for the pipe itself is completely reasonable. Maybe even a bargain.
6.95 for shipping????
No thank you! My momma didn't raise no fool!!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I guess there is no real way of knowing if those stems are even original?
To my eye, most of the complete pipes look like they are the original stems. As Jesse pointed out, the work of Sixten Ivarsson is part of a whole different realm of collectability, and his influence on pipe design and shaping cannot be underestimated. Do I have the money to bid on an Ivarsson pipe? No, but I also don't have the kind of money to bid on a painting by Pablo Picasso, or for the American carver argument, a canvas by Jackson Pollack. The last "as found" auction for three Ivarsson pipes I recall back in 2012-13 or so, three pipes were sold for an average price of $3000. Note also the three pipes by Jorn Micke are selling very well.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Ivarsson,_Sixten

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Note also the three pipes by Jorn Micke are selling very well.
Wow, I totally missed those. Micke's pipes seem to be even more rare than Ivarsson's.
I really like that flat volcano.
PgR6yBw.jpg

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
wow, I would love to own one, but the price is very high, it's nice to know the history behind the pipe though.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
A slight variation of the Peewit shape. Shape 30 for Stanwell, note the slight curve of the somewhat shorter shank; beautiful cross grain on this example. The same shape for Stanwell from the Scandia line (with a slightly less elegant stem),
I have a Savoy pipe much like that shape 30, got it on Ebay for 9.99 (I was only bidder) and 3.89 shipping, after I cleaned it up it turns out to be a fantastic smoker. I will stay on the cheap side for a while longer

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Well the first two Jorn Micke pipes just sold at $5655.00 and $5855.00. Very cool. In this type of market, rare collectables, the last sale sets the bar for the value.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Well the first two Jorn Micke pipes just sold at $5655.00 and $5855.00. Very cool. In this type of market, rare collectables, the last sale sets the bar for the value.
Damn. See, they were bargains at a mere $1,500 or so, LOL.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Yes.
Some carvers have achieved "legendary" status for the quality of their output, their influence in the field, and their place in history. Nobody has more of that than Sixten Ivarsson, who created the Danish pipe carving style which broke with the earlier classical French shapes in favor of a more organic approach to shaping that followed and exploited the grain patterns in the wood. He opened a door through which hundreds, if not thousands, of other carvers all over the world have passed.
The prior owner of these had great taste, if mediocre technique. Sixten is long gone and there aren't any more of his pipes being made. Collectors will view with each other to add one to the pile. It's not that they will smoke any better than a decently made pipe going for a fraction of the money. It's about what these pipes represent esthetically to some collectors, and historically to others.
Sable, you are totally right. My bad, sorry. Actually while collecting Zippos, I was ready to pay $2000 for a 1936 Zippo. I will still pay it if I had $2000. The thing is I was just seeing a pipe as an item to burn the tobacco, not a collectible thing. I totally understand it. For a such highly collectible item, I may also pay few thousand dollars. If I had them of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.