PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
At some point this coming Monday I hope to pick up my first basket pipe from a local tobacconist. A couple of questions then: what is the likelihood any of these will be briar, and are there any tell-tale signs that will indicate this? I can ask, of course, but I don’t want to look a total fool. Secondly, while I appreciate basket pipes are largely pot-luck in terms of quality, is there anything I can look for to reduce the chances of picking up a complete dud?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here is a thread I started about a basket pipe I purchased. Maybe a read through will help you...some good comments by other members. basket pipe

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Nothing wrong with basket pipes. Some of the name companies make them, Big Ben, Viking, BC, etc. Sometimes you can find a real gem in the mix. Just take you time in looking and look for any show stopping defects, (like you would with any other pipe).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Judcasper, in the tobacco world we follow a different modus operandi and etiquette than in the mainstream, geeky, self-made man, social media sphere. Namely, you stand a higher chance of being looked down if you DON'T ask questions, no matter how stupid, than if you come in and ask for guidance outright. Pretending to know, or being unwilling to admit ignorance won't net you good results in tobyland. Experienced salesmen can spot beginners with the same ease I can spot when a student used google maps instead of the atlas in a geography lab exercise.
This video is about cigars, but I'm linking directly to the advice that applies all across the toby gamut: https://youtu.be/79GnBpNuVBo?t=1479
And, this too, very important: https://youtu.be/79GnBpNuVBo?t=1547
Of course, I acknowledge that sometimes we're hesitant to say out right that we don't know out of fear that a shrewd vendor will take advantage. There's also the fact that not all people employed in the business are knowledgeable, especially the hired hands behind the counter. Thus, besides the advice on etiquette, here's practical advice on pipes:
1) Ask outright: 'these are made of briar, right?'
2) Now that you've some smokes under your belt, you know more about what you want. Do you want short smokes? Choose a pipe with a small bowl. Do you prefer filters or not? Choose accordingly. Are you having issues with the pipe smoking too hot? Choose a pipe with thick walls.
3) Pay attention to the smoke hole in the chamber: it must be dead in the centre and be flush with the bottom of the chamber. If it's too high the tobacco won't burn all the way to the end, leading to issues with moisture.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks, all.
olkofri, I'm going to take your advice when I call in an explain the facts as they are. As you say I'm far more likely to put myself in an embarrassing situation if I try and make out I know more than I do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A basket pipe is anything the shop owner or manager decides to put in the basket. Some of these are probably a little too basic, with rough finishing of whatever kind, cheap plastic stems, and haphazard crafting. However, some shops put good pipes in the basket that may have stayed on display too long unsold or that they got on deep discount from good brands. Savinelli used to end up in the basket now and then, unfinished briar but good workmanship that darkened and finished itself with time, and other examples of good pipes put out for quicker sale. It behooves the shops to sell some good pipes to beginners that will make them like pipe smoking and bring them back for tobacco and additional pipes. A good way to know what you are looking at in the basket, is to spend a lot of time looking at non-basket pipes to see what quality looks like. Talk it over with whoever seems to be senior staff in the shop. See if they know what they're talking about as best you can. Ask them to pick you out several of the best basket pipes and tell you about sources of these. If they are just trying to empty your wallet, you'll soon see that. But if they are really smart, they'll give you straight information. Don't be afraid to go away, with polite salutations, and think about it, before you decide on any of the pipes. If you then go back and buy one, they'll think about you as a possible repeat customer and may treat you according. Take your time. Don't be intimidated.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pay attention to the smoke hole in the chamber: it must be dead in the centre and be flush with the bottom of the chamber. If it's too high the tobacco won't burn all the way to the end, leading to issues with moisture.
All it has to do is pass a pipe cleaner from the stem to the chamber. Anything else is aesthetics.
And it needn't be flush with the bottom. If it's way too high, the likelihood of unburnt tobacco in the heel is raised. But not by a lot, and many folks delight in throwing away dottle.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
A basket pipe is anything the shop owner or manager decides to put in the basket. Some of these are probably a little too basic, with rough finishing of whatever kind, cheap plastic stems, and haphazard crafting. However, some shops put good pipes in the basket that may have stayed on display too long unsold or that they got on deep discount from good brands.
As many of you are probably aware (or maybe not) full-on tobacconists are pretty thin on the ground in the UK, so it may be worth noting that although I used the word tobacconists it's essentially a large newsagents with a small selection of pipes and pipe tobacco. When I was last in there I noticed what few pipes they had on the shelves were Peterson's, so it's unlikely I'm going to find one of these 'hidden gems' in the basket.
All it has to do is pass a pipe cleaner from the stem to the chamber. Anything else is aesthetics.
That's worth knowing. Thanks.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Peterson seems to be quite ubiquitous. My local brick & mortar has a wider selection of Petersons than any other maker. None of them are in the basket, though.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Basket pipes aren't cheap. Buy a Peterson Dublin on Pipesandcigars.com. They have a special for $59.00. That pipe will definitely be better than some no name basket pipe.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Well, my "first pipe" (which I don't consider to be my first pipe) was a Basket Pipe and it cost me $5.
The worst pipe of all times. Bad in all aspects. Adding to that the fact that I was 100% inexperienced, it was a total disaster.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have some perfectly good basket pipes that have served me well for decades.
Look for obvious flaws, defects or poor workmanship. Check the drilling by removing the stem and verifying the draft hole lines up and isn't too high/low/off center. Take a pipe cleaner with you and see if it will pass unobstructed. Otherwise, pick the one that speaks to you.
If the tobacconist or news agent gives you any grief about looking over the pipes in this manner that's your cue to pass on anything he is selling and order something from one of the reputable sponsors listed on this site or maybe get something from a member in the trade/sale section.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
If you want to mess around with them, bring a small pen light and shine it in to the bowl from the shank (part the stem fits in to). Look at the light pattern at the bottom of the bowl and say "Hmmmmmm. Interesting." Then you ask for a discount. If questioned, just say "Well isn't that obvious?" Good luck!
But seriously... I'd ask for a discount on a basket pipe. Something like "What is your friendliest price for this pipe?" sometimes does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.