PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Once in a while a a pipe turns out to be a real bargain...About thirty years ago I walked into a local smoke shop.I trusted the fellow who ran the place.He had never steered me wrong.This day he told me that he had made a special buy in Bjarne pipes.He insisted that I buy one.I picked one out paid him thirty bucks and left with a pipe that I really hadn't intended to buy.That pipe has turned out to smoke as well as some of my much more expensive pipes.I'm still smoking it after all these years..Any here ever get lucky with a bargain pipe?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
My best and most favourite smoker is a very low grade kaywoodie from the 80's, sad but true, it smokes better than pipes I paid 70 times more for.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Bjarne freehand sitter from 85, sort of an hourglass shape. THE OTHER ONE I have is one of his last, purchased right after he passed, a beautiful part rusticated bent Dublin. Both smoke superbly. And were quite a bargain at $45 AND $75 respectively. MY BEST BARGAIN was an Edwards, and I have always been partial to those, ten in my collection of 51 or so.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I have a few Bjarne pipes, including a Bjarne Giant, and they are all excellent smokers. I also have a couple of basket pipes I picked up very cheaply and they also proved to be great smokers. Price does not equal a great smoker. Some of my least expensive pipes are some of my best smokes.

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Anybody who wants to trade for a Bjarne should check out some pipes I am trading under "Let's trade pipes" posting. There is is a nice Bjarne Poker I am willing to trade. :)

zhizn

Lurker
Nov 9, 2010
I got a Lorenzo Spitfire for about 30 bucks new. even though it is ugly, it is still one of my best smokers.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Even though I have a few foolishly purchased expensive pipes, my favorite two pipes, and also the two pipes I only smoke are both inexpensive pipes...one is a 1947 Kaywoodie, and the second, and my most favorite pipe is a 60's Willard.
As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between the expensive, versus inexpensive pipes, are visual only.

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I've had the same experience as many of you.
I left for a week long vacation and forgot to pack my pipe, everything else though.
I found a B&M and bought a 15$ no name basket bent bulldog. I had low expectations.
I intended it to be a throw away pipe. Something to pass the week with and then go into a desk drawer.
30 years later, it is still my vacation pipe. I only smoke it on trips, telling myself that I take it to lose. This way it will save one of my precious Ben Wades from an accidental loss.

But really, it is a fine pipe. Perfect in every way except pedigree.
I'm posting from a hotel in Moose Lake, MN. Soon I'll be paddling a canoe in the Boundry Waters, happily smoking away on my mongrel mutt of a pipe.
Truth be told...if I lose it, I'll be just as crushed as if a Preben Holm sinks to the bottom of the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.