PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I liked the bowl of Charing Cross, but as Greg Pease stated, you can't replicate the original. The orientals have changed, too, because the unflavored "soda-like" notes of the old Sobranie are not here. They're not in WhiteKnight or other blends with yenidje on the market. At the Richmond Pipe Show, Russ Ouellette and I had a discussion on this very subject. He made the comment that the strain of yenidje currently available is either a variant of yesterday's yenidje, or the kind used in the past doesn't exist (or not available) anymore. That alone would make it impossible for anybody to duplicate Balkan Sobranie even if everything was exactly the same.
I wonder what yenidje Synjeco is using in Torina? I haven't smoked it in about three years now, so it, too, may be different now. Anyway, maybe it's best to just judge blends on their own merit. The Charing Cross I just had was good (I've enough for one more bowl). The new Balkan Sobranie is good, but no longer great, and I would not say it was better than Charing Cross. But I'll smoke a bowl of the new Sobranie now, and see what I think in regard to comparison to Charing Cross.
Edit: I'd buy Charing Cross over the new BS. WhiteKnight, too.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Funny. I visited a pipe and cigar shop in Charlottesville, VA earlier today while my wife was clothes shopping and I asked if they had any tins of Balkan Sobranie and this older fella who I took to be the owner, without even looking up from the magazine he was reading, said "son, Balkan Sobranie hasn't been in the U.S. since 1994." I tried in vain to explain to him that I wasn't referring to the old Sobranie of London blend but instead the newer stuff that J.F. Germain puts it and the guy honestly didn't know what I was talking about and treated me like I was a nut. When I asked to see what tins he had for sale he pointed to the corner of the store where he had these huge bags of bulk Peter Stokkebye blends and told his assistant "let him smell the bag with the orientals." It was an entertaining visit to say the least.
I have 6x tins of Balkan Sobranie in my cellar and I'll continue to pick up tins here and there when I see them. I won't go out of my way, but if they are there then yes I'll pick more up. After all I need to get creative on how I'm going to afford to send my kids to college and the profit turned by selling them down the road might just get me there. Ha.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Exciting thread to read about the fabled B. Sobranie, what made it so good and about current contenders, how they are different, and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.