Balkan or English? What's the Difference?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
3 Fresh Konstantin Shekita Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have pretty much submerged myself the the world of Balkan and English blends. I had never given much thought to what the difference was or if there was any difference at all. They both have Latakia as a prime element although English blends such as Penzance do not really have the Latakia note. So my friends, shine some light on the subject. I don't want to seem incompetent any longer using English/Balkan as a label. I want to Be fair to each genera. Thanks!!!

notabene1

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
This from Pipedia:
Q: What is generally meant by "English," "Scottish," and "Balkan" style?
A: The definitions of these terms seem somewhat fluid, apart from the fact that all tobaccos bearing these appellations contain Latakia. To my mind, an English blend has a significant portion of Virginia backing up the Latakia, and orientals serve as a spice. A Scottish blend is similar to an English, with less Latakia, a more dominant Virginia character and, perhaps, little or no oriental leaf. A Balkan, on the other hand, is predominately based on oriental tobaccos and Latakia, and just enough Virginia is used to provide structure and balance. I don't claim this is right but it's the way I view things.
From the G.L.Pease FAQ, and used by permission.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Hmmmm. Maybe the Penzance I have is an old sample. It doesn't have the smokey note like say Cerberus. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. Probably not. That's why i ask so many questions.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, but when I smoke Black House, I quite enjoy the ominous music that starts playing in the space between my ears. I'm one step shy of getting a black dress pipe and a dark cloak. I think this is because my wife looked at the tin, smelled the tobacco, and called it "Dracula Tobacco."

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ok, thanks antipodesman, I was kind of nervous as to what my understanding of Latakia was. I don't taste or smell it in Penzance. I like the heck out of it still!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.