PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
I recently came across a pipe carved by Al Baier at a flea market. The lady gave it to me for 5 dollars so I grabbed it. It's a large freehand with the live edge of the burl topping the bowl. It needed some TLC but cleaned up beutifuly. I'm wondering if anyone else here has seen or currently owns any pipes by Baier. I also read somewhere that Al passed away sometime ago.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
All I've got.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Baier
It would be neat to see a picture of your pipe. :)

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
bsoi6MPnuv25XHbQ7

oqrFA3sSf1JmvdCWA

I hope that works. I took a few photos of the pipe today. but these two should do justice. when I get a chance I'll have to upload my "collection" on the album on my profile page.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
Nice. I've only been on here for a short time and infrequently at that. So sharing pics is one thing I haven't figured out yet. But thanks for taking the time to make them visible.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
I took her for a spin about a few hours ago, I'm more keen on nosewarmers and smaller bent style pipes as I'm usually working on something around the house or driving. But I can't overlook a good deal or a good pipe and this would be my first in the "freehand" class. This might not be the pipe I choose for my daily out and about, but it's a great smoker. The chamber is the deepest I own at this point, and when I was cleaning it yesterday I notice in the shank there is a small moisture sump drilled below the draught hole.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, effin' google pix. Their URLs are loooooong.
Great looking pipe!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
Thanks for that info, as I noted before I'm an infrequent visitor of the forum but I uploaded some pics from my collection to my profile album so next time I can avoid any trouble.
img_20180712_210707802-600x450.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're welcome. And I apologize for the reposting of the images- was trying to figure something out re Google images, and it seemed to be better to leave them vs. Blank posts.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
What an interesting piece ... I don't think I have seen a pipe with such a narrow chamber diameter.

catskillcal

Lurker
Jul 15, 2017
In relation to the overall size of the pipe the chamber is a bit narrow, but overall the pipe is about 6.5" long with the bowl roughly 3". the chamber is just short of .75" diameter being roughly 2.25" deep. This is now the "biggest" briar in my collection. As for the price I'm surprised the woman at the flea market sold it that low, but who would I be to question her judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.