Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
it seems to me that any thread with this many naughties in it ought to be a lot more fun
agreed, but the dogpile on pipebuddy ticked me off. And the level of discourse, amounting to "Bullshit!" didn't seem to merit a more nuanced response.
The point is that pipebuddy is correct and that many states have statutes regarding advertising practices, whether you agree of disagree. IN the 200+ commercials I worked on I was made very aware of these various guidelines. And while these statutes aren't ideal, they happened because of widespread egregiousness in the marketplace.
And this isn't whether Smoking Pipes did the "right" thing or not. There are a lot of ways to conduct business, and people have their own view regarding how to do that. All pipebuddy was pointing out is that, depending on the state in which the transaction occurred, Smoking Pipes would have a legal obligation to make good on their listing. And for that he got crapped on, except by Hugodrax, to whom I will apologize, and for the others no apologies for my tone. None.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
And this isn't whether Smoking Pipes did the "right" thing or not. There are a lot of ways to conduct business, and people have their own view regarding how to do that. All pipebuddy was pointing out is that, depending on the state in which the transaction occurred, Smoking Pipes would have a legal obligation to make good on their listing. And for that he got crapped on, except by Hugodrax, to whom I will apologize, and for the others no apologies for my tone. None.
Good thing I wasn't waiting for, nor counting on an apology.
I forgot we had so many tender hearts.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
You list something for sale at a certain price, you are legally obligated to sell it at that price.
Although the law does vary from state to state, the "common law" and starting point for the law of advertising is that an ad is an "invitation to accept offers" and is not in itself a binding offer. There are exceptions and situations were an ad is a binding offer, but as a general rule, an ad is not binding on the advertiser. The placing of an order is actually where the "contract" process starts. Placing an order is a "offer". The acceptance of the order is the acceptance of the offer, and the agreement to the terms of the offer and the creation of the contract. Depending on when in this process SP notified the buyer of the error and what other communication was sent prior to that notice would determine if SP ever accepted the initial offer to purchase the pipe at the low price.
Law school was a long time ago, but this is basic contract law, and I am pretty sure I remember it correctly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Alright, well seems as if everyone is happy now, and I'm just plain tired of reading this! Glad things worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.