PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Hi Guys,
My wife and I are going to Italy in about three weeks. We’ll be hitting the highlights- Rome, Florence, Cenice, Milan. While there, I would to go and pick up a pipe and, hope, that’s hope, I can pick up some tobacco we can’t get here (Margate, Penzance, etc). First, has anyone had good luck picking up some of the hard to get tobaccos while in Italy? And any suggestions on shops?
Thanks,
John Kelly

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Hi Guys,
My wife and I are going to Italy in about three weeks. We’ll be hitting the highlights- Rome, Florence, Cenice, Milan. While there, I would to go and pick up a pipe and, hope, that’s hope, I can pick up some tobacco we can’t get here (Margate, Penzance, etc). First, has anyone had good luck picking up some of the hard to get tobaccos while in Italy? And any suggestions on shops?
Thanks,
John Kelly
Bring back a variety of Italian tobacco - Cimette(like shavings of tobacco), Comune, Hazelnut flavored Kentucky - I'd honestly be quite interested if you can pick me up some and bring it back
They also carry Semois in italy - possibly other varieties than Manil

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
If it were I, I'd love to meet Kino at Catello's (is that within an hour or hour and half driving from Milan) and then swing by Corti Tobacco on Lake Como (perhaps 45 minutes driving or a bit more from Castello's?) and say, "hi," to Luca.
kindly
mike
I am on a tour, so I am not driving alone. Sadly, I can’t go to CastEllis. BUT, I think we will be in Lake Como. So, I will see if I can find Corti. Does Luca own the shop?
thanks Mike

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
For pipes, Al Pascia is VERY much worth a walkthrough. For tobacco, no se....

I think Esoterica is an American thing.. At least our brethren from across the pond often remark of it's unavailability. J.F. Germain should be available though.. Same tobacco house.
I’ll be looking for the Germain, for sure. There are a few things from England I hope to grab. I hope they are available in Italy!

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
As originally from Italy I can tell you Italy is a tobacco pipe superpower but a tobacco III world country. Other that few Italian tobaccos which I don't value very high anyway there is nothing interesting and what you can find it will be at outrageous prices. For tobacco my advice If you are in Milan go to Switzerland 1 hour drive from there and you'll be in tobacco Heaven. I would recommend to go to Synjeco where you can find all SG & GH plugs, twists and flakes.

For Pipes you already got some good advice but keep in mind that every decent size city have still in the downtown good B&M shops where you can find a decent selection of pipes.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Forget about finding pipe tobacco in Italy, you can’t even log on to a pipe tobacco retailers website while you are there (blocked).

Novelli in Rome is a fantastic shop with a huge selection of pipes. Becker & Musico was another, near the Trevi Fountain but I think that has now closed. At least at that location.

In Florence don’t miss this one:

Its right next to the Duomo and the owner is wonderful. Ask to see the Castellos and he’ll bring out 3-4 dozen in trays that he picked out personally at the factory.

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
As originally from Italy I can tell you Italy is a tobacco pipe superpower but a tobacco III world country. Other that few Italian tobaccos which I don't value very high anyway there is nothing interesting and what you can find it will be at outrageous prices. For tobacco my advice If you are in Milan go to Switzerland 1 hour drive from there and you'll be in tobacco Heaven. I would recommend to go to Synjeco where you can find all SG & GH plugs, twists and flakes.

For Pipes you already got some good advice but keep in mind that every decent size city have still in the downtown good B&M shops where you can find a decent selection of pipes.
Thanks Alex,
from what u and everyone is saying, I will plan on looking for a B&M to pipe up a new Castello. I only have one in my collection and it is one of my best smokers. I always love when it come up in my rotation!
We will be in Lake Como, but I may just grab a pipe before then.
Thanks,
John

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
Forget about finding pipe tobacco in Italy, you can’t even log on to a pipe tobacco retailers website while you are there (blocked).

Novelli in Rome is a fantastic shop with a huge selection of pipes. Becker & Musico was another, near the Trevi Fountain but I think that has now closed. At least at that location.

Its right next to the Duomo and the owner is wonderful. Ask to see the Castellos and he’ll bring out 3-4 dozen in trays that he picked out personally at the factory.
Thanks,
I know we have time to shop in Florence. It ought be easy to find…. I love the fact that he personally picked out his own Castillo’s! How cool is that! I have been on a few B&M websites and they don’t even list tobacco. So, if I grab some great. But, I am just aiming for a pipe now.
I had dreams of loading up on Margate, Penzance, etc… that will be in 2013… ?
thanks for the tips!
John Kelly

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I am on a tour, so I am not driving alone. Sadly, I can’t go to CastEllis. BUT, I think we will be in Lake Como. So, I will see if I can find Corti. Does Luca own the shop?
thanks Mike
I think Corti is a family venture and goes back a generation or two. Luca is part of the younger generation involved in the business as I understand it--and is a delight! Kind and good hearted. A blessing!
enjoy,
mike
ps--i'll have to mention to our Priest in the 'confessional' now the sin of envy LOL

Johnkelly55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2021
Lancaster, PA
I think Corti is a family venture and goes back a generation or two. Luca is part of the younger generation involved in the business as I understand it--and is a delight! Kind and good hearted. A blessing!
enjoy,
mike
ps--i'll have to mention to our Priest in the 'confessional' now the sin of envy LOL
Please, tell him I led u into an occasion of sin! Certainly this is a venial matter, and the BVM will be understanding. This is why Peter ended up in Rome.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Wow! We wanting to go to Scotland for 2012 but our friends are talking 2013… Rats
That's where I'd go - Scotland wow - gorgeous
either way Italy should be nice - I love everything Italian(except for the people ahaha)
I hear from Sicilians that I've known personally and friends that they can't stand 'real italians'
no offense to northerners and Milanese though - I love all people

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA
In Florence, you’ve got to see Castellana Giovanni. It’s a really small shop, but the owner is so kind and knowledgeable. Once you engage in conversation, then suddenly drawers come open, and trays come from the back with pipe after pipe. It’s not a store to browse. It’s really like going into his home. As others mentioned, tobacco is a wasteland there. Very expensive, and the all put these horrific stickers on them of people with cancer in all forms of sickness. No thanks please.

Tommydawg

Lurker
Jul 4, 2021
Pepperell MA

Exactly!

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
In Florence, you’ve got to see Castellana Giovanni. It’s a really small shop, but the owner is so kind and knowledgeable. Once you engage in conversation, then suddenly drawers come open, and trays come from the back with pipe after pipe. It’s not a store to browse. It’s really like going into his home. As others mentioned, tobacco is a wasteland there. Very expensive, and the all put these horrific stickers on them of people with cancer in all forms of sickness. No thanks please.

I think you said it better- it really is like going into his home. A home with dozens of beautiful unsmoked Castellos for sale owned by someone who loves and appreciates them as much as you do.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Hi Guys,
Thanks,
John Kelly

In Milan don't miss the original Savinelli 1876 store just a few steps from the Cathedral.