PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
With all the talk about tobacco being harder to purchase online in the future, i decided to go and see what my local drugstores charged for tobacco. I went to Walgreens and they had no CH, PA, or CBW. Only a large bag of Blenders Choice for $36.00. Next up i went to CVS, or had CBW 12oz. tins for $52.00. Same thing you can get online for $30-35. Is this normal, and does anyone else out there buy there tobacco from drug stores? I already know that my local B&M can't compete with online, being kind of a botique shop, but was suprised that the drugstores were so overpriced.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I have never bought from a drugstore so can't help you out there. As far as my locale B&M goes everything tins to be $1-4 more expensive than online.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
It's illegal for drug stores to sell tobacco in Canada. Also I can tell the cost is 4 times what you pay in USA.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I live in Colorado and that seem to be the Norm here they have to add 40% to the cost of the tin for taxes so a tin you buy online for 9 will cost about 15 here at the B&M and drug store. But I have found good prices at my B&M where a tin is only a buck or two more than online.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
It's illegal for drug stores to sell tobacco in Canada.
I'm pretty sure that is regulated provincially, and based on square footage dedicated to pharmacy, as you can certainly buy tobacco at London Drugs and Shoppers Drug Mart here in B.C. - in fact, they have some of the best prices around, at $19.99 for a 50g pouch of CB, Sail, or Amphora. Safeway is a close second, with the same running me $23 and change after taxes.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Texas had high tobacco taxes. Keep shopping at your b&m tho..your keeping them in business. The blend I'm smoking right now is from a b&m in Plano, it's just two of lane limited's mixed 50/50, but I like it and it keeps Mick laughing at me so I'll keep getting it there.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Keep shopping at your b&m tho..your keeping them in business
Case in point : Balkan Sasieni. $7 something a 50 g tin from P&C. In NY State, where they have the same tax on pipe tobacco as we do in Alaska. Out of curiosity I asked Beau Smith what they sold it for in the shop ..... I remember he said 12 something plus sales tax.

The "fancy" B&M here in Anchorage wanted $25 for the same thing. And $30 for tins of McBaren. Another B&M sells the McBarens for $20 which is about right.
@mountainman Yes, drugstores, Walmart, Jack's Tobacco Shack etc have to add state pipe tobacco tax; when we're buying online, it's state tax free ( depending on your state, some states require tax to be added no matter where you buy it from ). I have not bought OTC in a long time as I don't enjoy its' taste. Most stuff sold OTC except the classics ( PA, CH, CB ) is actually low grade RYO baccy sold as pipe tobacco so they ( manufacturers ) can enjoy lower taxation and sell more.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Keep shopping at your b&m tho..your keeping them in business.
Most definitely - although I tend to cross-border shop for my tobacco to avoid the roughly 300% taxation, I do buy the majority of my accessories and pipes through my local tobacconists. I don't mind paying a couple of bucks more (often less than a $10 difference when you factor in shipping and exchange) to keep the last bastions of my hobby afloat in the area - plus, I am also hedging my bets against the day when I can no-longer utilize e-tailers; when I discover an exceptional blend, I offer my tobacconist a sample with the hopes that he'll start the process to have said blend flagged for import.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I hit my B&M every couple of weeks for bulk tobaccos and order tins online. I'm a firm believer in supporting my local shops. I (nerd alert) do the same with my local comic book shop.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Only purchased a "drug store" brand from my tobacco shoppe once and it was a small pouch of captain black.

I always buy online because of the wider selection and lower prices!

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
BTW I do keep one otc prince Albert. The few tobaccos I order online, are gotten that way because I just can't go buy them anywhere.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My advice: Don't borrow trouble. It's not harder yet. Buy now,and don't worry about drugstores,most of whom, from my experience, don't sell much anyway.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I went to Walgreens and they had no CH, PA, or CBW. Only a large bag of Blenders Choice for $36.00
Ouch! That's a lot of money! It's funny you mention that because I was in my local Walgreens earlier today, and the 12oz bags of Blender's Choice were only $12. I didn't buy any today, but might go back and pick up a bag of the toasted Cavendish now. BTW, I was hoping they had Smokers Pride since I like SP Black Cavendish, but no joy.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@schmitzbitz....hmmm it must be a provincial law then...no drug stores here in Ontario sell tobacco regardless of size.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I never had much luck with drug stores. But don't forget the little RYO shops. There is one close to me who at first had just a few packs of PA when I started going in there. I kept stopping by to get PA @ 3.25 a pack and would talk the guy up about other OTC Tobaccos I liked and wanted. I guess some others was doing the same because now he has a nice selection of OTC in packs and tubs at great prices like PA tub $25.00, captian black 35.00 a tub and several others. So it doesn't hurt to check these guys out and talk to them. They can get the real pipe tobacco from the same sources they get the other.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Barkar, I'm sure it'll be that way across the country soon enough. Here in Manitoba, there's talk of tabling legislation that would prevent drug stores from selling any tobacco.
You can still get OTC at the larger chain supermarkets. I picked up a 50gr pouch of Amphora Red for $25.

Status
Not open for further replies.