PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice pipe and Happy Birthday. Since it is your 15th birthday, are you sure you are old enough to smoke?

Jan 8, 2013
Beautiful pipe, Fred! And that's coming from someone who usually isn't too keen on straight pipes, although Peterson makes a couple straight shapes I find appealing. The grain looks very interesting to me. It's almost wavy. Could be a new classification for grain type... like wave flame grain or something. I have to ask how long it took for shipping, since I've seen a few pipes from AlPascia I'd like, but I'm afraid of waiting forever lol. Anyway, that is a wonderful pipe. Very nice. Enjoy the heck out of it!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Anthony, you've raised a couple of interesting issues. More than anything else, what sold me on this Peterson was the handsome grain. After almost four years in the hobby, and I still consider myself a newbie to this gentlemanly endeavor, and so knew little about things like briar wood grain, except I felt this grain to be beautifully exceptional. About shipping, I don't know if FedEx is typical but that's how alpascia sent this pipe, to my amazement--it arrived in a week.

There's another Kapp-royal available that I hope to get; another Prince, but with an amber stem. (My collection needs some color.) But can someone tell

me about the Kapp-Royal line, what distinguishes it from lower-priced Petersons? Is it wood grain quality?

Jan 8, 2013
Fred, on your question, my understanding is this... and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I heard it. Peterson inspects their stummels, and upon judging the grain and amount of flaws, dedicate them to the grade or line of pipes set aside for them. So basically, the nicer the grain and quality of the briar (free of pits, fills, etc), the higher line (or grade) of pipes, with some exceptions.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
SH:
I know absolutely nothing about the Peterson line. But that birthday burner of yours is handsome as hell with grain as pretty as it gets.
I hope you enjoy it for many, many years to come.
Fnord

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
When looking at the stem under a lamp, I saw that it was actually a faux Cumberland stem, although too dark to really be noticed: no matter, a deep walnut or brown does nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.