PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
What are some suggestions in preventing rim char on your pipes? Is there something that can be applied to the rim to coat it for easy removal if it did get charred?

adam.estates.04.jpg

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I have a few pipes with rim char that I got on Ebay. Never charred one myself. But, I sanded down my Dunhill bulldog rim about 2mm from the top to remove the char. Then had to re-stain the bowl with aniline dye. Looks OK. It changes the shape of the pipe somewhat but is worth it if you can't live with the char.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that - try licking your finger, and running some saliva around the rim of your pipe prior to lighting...gives something for the flame to cook off other than finish or wood.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I recently started restorations on several pipes with charring around the rim. For the thicker build up, I carefully scraped it with my pipe knife, then afterwards used a magic eraser to get rid of the rest. Seems to work like a charm. I'll probably follow up with a wet sanding to get rid of any indentations from the scraping. I'll post pics when I'm finished.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
I recently used some pure Mink oil and a few Q-Tips that removed all light charring from a pipe I own. It worked like magic in taking off all of it, leaving it looking brand new(as the pipe is new).

001-4.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I thought you were talking about actual char. The build up of tar on the rim is easily removed with a bit of lemon juice in a q tip

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think the easiest way to prevent rim charring would be to not fill the bowl all the way to the top with the tobacco. Or fill it up but tamp it back down below the rim a few milimeters. Other than that I could only think of maybe smoking inside more. Sometimes the wind can blow the flame and char the rim a little before you get the flame in the bowl.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Use matches or a lighter with a pipe chimney. Also clean the rim as soon as you are done smoking.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
I just leave mine. I honestly think it adds character to a used pipe. On a brand new one, or something I've paid for, I'd be put out as anything, but if its my pipe that I plan on keeping for many years, I kindof like it.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
For rim burn, the best tactic is prevention. Don't fully load the chamber & use a flame

that either must be drawn down into the chamber or can be directed into it. In dealing with

Meerschaums that have been burnt, Beeswax will help to dissipate the discoloration, but to

remove it, you will have to sand and re-wax it. The accumulation of smoke tars, a bit of

saliva on a clean white cotton cloth will help keep this to a minimum with routine maintenance.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Well share the wealth!! We need your Expertise on what the secret is! :mrgreen:

"I Got's To Know!!!"

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I am charing the rim of my Luciano. I have always used matches, but it seems im possibly holding it too close to the rim, or not holding the match at the right angle.
The matches I have currently burn too quickly though so I have to hold them almost flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.