PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Comoy's Old Bruyere

18576237-orig.jpg
That's quite nice. Haven't seen too many authors outside of the 320 which really attract me, though.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
So, my Hercules arrived Tuesday. Fit and finish is very nice, pretty good grain, rustication is well done.
But holy poop is this thing massive. I mean I've got some good sized hands, and this thing is just insane. But oddly enough, it isn't heavy at all, very easy to clench. It came pre-carbon coated, which is kinda annoying, but hey, most pipes are these days. Plus I gotta free t-shirt, so that's a bonus.

My first smoke went very well, not to wet, very cool, very smooth, great draw. I chose GLP Lagonda for the occasion, and I found it actually helps kinda spread out some of the flavours, giving me time to truly appreciate all the nuances of the blend.

I can see this becoming 1 of my go too pipes. Give me about a month to break it in and I will post a writeup about it. With pictures of course, just to keep your attention.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, my Hercules arrived Tuesday. Fit and finish is very nice, pretty good grain, rustication is well done.
But holy poop is this thing massive. I mean I've got some good sized hands, and this thing is just insane. But oddly enough, it isn't heavy at all, very easy to clench. It came pre-carbon coated, which is kinda annoying, but hey, most pipes are these days. Plus I gotta free t-shirt, so that's a bonus.

My first smoke went very well, not to wet, very cool, very smooth, great draw. I chose GLP Lagonda for the occasion, and I found it actually helps kinda spread out some of the flavours, giving me time to truly appreciate all the nuances of the blend.

I can see this becoming 1 of my go too pipes. Give me about a month to break it in and I will post a writeup about it. With pictures of course, just to keep your attention.
Thank you for your first use review. Which finish did you choose? Congratuations. :)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

The Save 320 lists at close to 3 oz and just over 80 grams - that is pretty big by my standard (and the reason I sold my 320 to someone here). I track the grams measurement carefully when choosing a pipe, if it is over 55, I know I won't like it, so that became my benchmark.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I've got the Fat Bob in the mail now.
The only larger Authors that I know of cost at least three times as much.
Outstanding. Please give us a review when possible.

I am more of a holder than clincher and the rounded author shape and angle just feels comfortable. I am finding I also like fat lovat shapes with saddle stems.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
The Save 320 lists at close to 3 oz and just over 80 grams - that is pretty big by my standard (and the reason I sold my 320 to someone here). I track the grams measurement carefully when choosing a pipe, if it is over 55, I know I won't like it, so that became my benchmark.
I gather that you usually clench then? I find straight pipes no matter how light to be awkward to clench. Half to full bent are much easier I find, as the weight is not as far out.(lever effect)
But I usually only clench when reaching for either my lighter or Czech tool, so not for very long, most of the time the button doesn't go beyond the teeth.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I gather that you usually clench then? I find straight pipes no matter how light to be awkward to clench. Half to full bent are much easier I find, as the weight is not as far out.(lever effect)
But I usually only clench when reaching for either my lighter or Czech tool, so not for very long, most of the time the button doesn't go beyond the teeth.
Just thinking, but perhaps the bent pipes redistribute the weight so that they are not as heavy as they appear.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Just thinking, but perhaps the bent pipes redistribute the weight so that they are not as heavy as they appear.
Distribution of weight based on distance from the fulcrum point. 2 pipes the same weight, 1 straight and 1 full bent. The full bent will feel lighter in comparison simply do to the arc bringing the balance point closer to the fulcrum point(where you clench becomes the fulcrum point).
Kinda like holding a spoon straight from the end vs in the middle. Or like holding a 2x4 straight out.
The more distance between the fixed point and the end of the object will give the illusion or the feeling of it being heavier.
Now since bent pipes are in overall length, shorter than a straight pipe of the same weight, the tend to feel lighter when clenched but the same when held. Due to where the weight is positioned.

I probably didn't word this very well, I know what i'm trying to say it's just not coming out very well. LOL.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Distribution of weight based on distance from the fulcrum point. 2 pipes the same weight, 1 straight and 1 full bent. The full bent will feel lighter in comparison simply do to the arc bringing the balance point closer to the fulcrum point(where you clench becomes the fulcrum point).
Kinda like holding a spoon straight from the end vs in the middle. Or like holding a 2x4 straight out.
The more distance between the fixed point and the end of the object will give the illusion or the feeling of it being heavier.
Now since bent pipes are in overall length, shorter than a straight pipe of the same weight, the tend to feel lighter when clenched but the same when held. Due to where the weight is positioned.

I probably didn't word this very well, I know what i'm trying to say it's just not coming out very well. LOL.
You did well explaining. :)

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I am a hypocrite. :(

While saying I was going to just use the pipes I have, in the back of my mind I wanted a Peterson and one with an "army" miount made from acrylic. Nostalgia and my Scots-Irish heritage set in...LOL!!

Having looked at hundreds of options, I discovered Peterson's Derry line and settled on a sort of hybrid between an author, prince, and apple branded as a "rustic" a more smooth rustication.

I really didn't need or want another author and I had decided something besides smooth would be nice. Anyway, this one seems to check all the boxes. I'll call it my "retirement pipe" a present to myself. Peterson Derry Rustic 408.jpg

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If there is anything I do not like about the Savinelli Author it is the size of the bowl opening. Here pictured is a G. Meneto beside a Wally Frank I found. Notice the size difference.
View attachment 82140
The diameter of most Savinelli 320s that I’ve seen are in excess of 0.90”, which is a fairly generous diameter. Is yours smaller?