PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
the price difference I wouldn't expect to be too difference
Based on SPC's asking prices, an estate, smoked, Mark Twain usually goes for $150, and a System Deluxe for $125. If your Deluxe is NOT a System ( yes, there were those, just a prettier, smooth, silver-banded Pete ), then the price goes down to $85-95.
huntertrw If you paid let's say fifty dollars for that pipe, then yes it is a good deal, whether it's the right pipe or not. Otherwise .....

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
To paraphrase the late Paul Harvey, here's the rest of the story concerning this pipe. In an attempt to determine just what I have, I contacted Peterson in Ireland and exchanged numerous e-mail messages with a very helpful gentleman named Glen at their Peterson Store. It is his opinion that the bowl of this pipe was frazed as a Mark Twain model, but that it was mis-stamped as a DeLuxe, and this was based upon two considerations. First, the shape of the pipe. Second, the fact that it was not marked with a shape number (he stated that the Mark Twain models were not, while the DeLuxe ones were). The hallmarking on the sterling silver band of this pipe indicates that it was manufactured in 1981, the year that the Mark Twain model was introduced. Since its production was just beginning, it is easy to see (at least to me) how this mistake could have been made.
Now regarding the red Mark Twain box, did it originally accompany the pipe, further compounding the mis-stamping error, or did the heirs of the original owner simply put the wrong pipe in it when they were gathering their father's collection to ship to the eBay seller? The answer to that question will never be known.
As for the eBay seller himself, he was very gracious regarding this matter, and we were able to amicably settle on a reduced price. I also want to publicly thank rcstan for the valuable advice which he rendered through multiple private messages.
This pipe required minimal clean-up, and is now undergoing the salt-and-alcohol treatment. Once it is dry, I will appropriately inaugurate it with a bowl of A&C Petersen's No. 150 (their Mark Twain mixture). It's a good day to be a pipe-smoker!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
huntertrw, I am glad that this story turned out well. Actually, it sounds like you ended up with a pipe that has its own interesting story, a story documented by your correspondence with Peterson, and for a lower price.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Peterson is definitely a manufacturer with long history unmatched by most other brands, just judging by this case where they can have a staff member with this knowledge of the history and specifications of their renowned lines. It is probably not the case of many other brands, e.g. Stanwell that lost its lineage from Denmark. I am for now just a half-hearted fan of Peterson owning only 3 of them, but am looking forwards to expand my collection on Peterson.
Congrats again Hunter, for it being a historical piece with some mystery.

:puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
huntertrw, I'm glad you got the story on the pipe ironed out and the price adjusted, and the provenance clarified by the Peterson establishment itself. This lends weight to the pipe and its story. I'd go back to your original pride in landing this baby. It's a fine handful of pipe, impressive and substantial, and I think you'll get years of good smoking out of it, which was the idea in the first place. Good job from our Forums panel of experts, too. It would be a struggle to dig out all that background singlehanded.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I am glad everything turned out well. The one time I corresponded with Peterson (asked about a stinger on an estate House Pipe) they went so far as to send me three different stingers for free, to ensure that one of them would fit properly. Excellent customer service in my experience.

Aug 14, 2012
It looks like an older one. I got one of these new a few years ago and the grain had been painted on with stains. That experience finally turned me against Peterson. Then I found a filling in a $200 pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen instances of painted-on grain on several brands of pipes, most of which I don't own, but it seems to be done more than is recognized. When I mentioned this on an earlier post, people were quite affronted, but this goes on. All of the grain on my Petes seems to be grain. I think. On low-end pipes, I take fills, if neatly and properly done, as personality.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd go back to your original pride in landing this baby

It would SEEM that what ya got is one of the first run models of a Twain with abnormal nomenclature. Something like the double struck 1955 penny. AND you negotiated a discount.

Sweet dreams, if you can sleep at night.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Sweet dreams, if you can sleep at night."
Funny you should mention that. Since acquiring this pipe my dreams have been filled with steamboats; the Mississippi River; a large Victorian home in Hartford, Connecticut; ideas for a typesetting machine; and endless games of billiards. I wonder if there is any correlation? :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm really glad for you and I think you got a wonderful pipe there and it's nice to see that you already enjoy it.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
huntertrw: And now you can quote those immortal words from Twain as you light your wonderful pipe:
As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.