PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
I've been wanting a "plateau" pipe for a while, and found this estate Ashton with some pretty nice ring grain, and couldn't help myself. I smoked my first bowl through it this morning, trying G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight for the first time. Two home runs!:
004-002-5264.jpg

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Gorgeous indeed brother. Love the blast and the stain. Always been a fan of Ashton and have had them on the radar for a long time. Definitely my next British pipe purchase.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice pipe smeaton. I've not yet heard the call from a gnarly plateau pipe but when I do something like that would do. :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great looking Ashton, congrats! I have one Ashton that smokes beautifully. I happen to be smoking it at the moment, which is funny because when I saw your post about your Ashton with the wind cap I was smoking mine at that time as well.
My Ashton was my first "higher end" pipe, and I really have to say that there is a genuine difference in quality, both of craftsmanship and smoking performance, over most if not all of my less expensive ones. Looking back now, I wish I had held off on some of the lesser pipe purchases I made and held out for a few higher quality ones. Enjoy! :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Lovely - what year Ashton? (Taylor or Craig pipe?)

I have an Taylor era pipe that had some construction issues but once fixed is a dream to smoke and I love their stemwork, very comfortable in the mouth.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
That is just my style, what an awesome catch! I am looking for a plateau as well but all I find are rather large pipes that sport it and I prefer a more standard sized bowl.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
Lovely - what year Ashton? (Taylor or Craig pipe?)

I have an Taylor era pipe that had some construction issues but once fixed is a dream to smoke and I love their stemwork, very comfortable in the mouth.
Per smokingpipes.com, it's a 2002 pipe. I have to plead ignorance though, as I don't know if that makes it a Taylor or Craig pipe. It seems to be perfectly constructed to my untrained eye.
Thanks everyone. It's EXACTLY what I wanted. The bowl size, the weight, the plateau, the finish, the stem... perfect.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a Taylor pipe. William Ashton Taylor died in '09. Jimmy Craig stated making pipes for them in '07 I believe and now runs the show (and is supposed to make an incredible pipe). I enjoy having a Taylor made Ashton but hope to add a new Craig some day.

smeaton

Lurker
Dec 10, 2011
That's great news, as I had bought a Craig made Ashton not all that long ago. Very cool to have one of each. 8)

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
generally I'm not a fan of sandblast or plateau but the y mixed the two together amazingly..and I love the divot in the center of the shank

Status
Not open for further replies.