Ashton ELX pebble grain Canadian estate, $200, is it worth it?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulofunk

Lurker
Dec 31, 2016
I really appreciate the input and commentary, and I will definitely check out PS.com. Very helpful. I will be traveling the hundred miles next week to try it out. The double stamp of the word "Pebblegrain" raises a few questions.....is that an exceptable mistake for an Ashton? Could this be one of his early pipes, as rd field's article suggests it maybe, judging by the absence of a date stamp and the cursive Ashton, whereby the doublestamp was not enough of a flaw to warrant NOT selling it....I'm just contemplating out loud here, but it helps to hear what others might have to say...

Oct 7, 2016
@ssjones- Ditto. Keep in mind that Taylor also sold Ashton's to Germany (his largest market most years, not all of which were 9mm drilled) and to domestic shops in the UK. I know personally two Americans who purchased significant #'s of Ashton's directly from Taylor. Only the American distributor insisted on precise, particularized nomenclature- and didn't always get it.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Fascinating! It looks like an early one to me, although I knew Bill better than I knew his pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Does that one not have the Ashton briar stem dot? If not, then no, it is definitely not worth $200 At that point, I'd assume the stem to be a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.