PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The rot set in in the late '70's, when TV and radio News was changed from being a public service to being a profit based extension of entertainment.
I beg to differ. Newspapers have always been simply mouthpieces for the owners. One only needs to read the papers of 1700 and 1800's. Granted opinions were "mostly" relegated to the "Op-Ed" pages but, slanted journalism is part and parcel of the media. Cronkite in England and Vietnam reporting come to mind. Morrow using his broadcasts to urge the US into war on the side of Britain. Time magazine, hardly the paragon of objective reports has gone from supporting Nationalist Chine to being, more or less, a mouth piece for the Chi-Coms. Lincoln sent an opposition editor off to Canada. Who was the US President who envied Stalin's control over the "opposition"? Roosevelt I believe.

No, the rot set in with the publication of the first political "circular." My wife, rest her soul, has her name on Pulitzer and a Loeb Award. She had to work damned hard to restrain her personal opinion and beliefs. She strove to maintain objectivity. Which is a lot harder than simply reeling off the streams consciousness we are so often exposed to in the media.

It is not the example.....it is our world leader ship,that I worry about
Insure your kids can think critically and provide a solid foundation for them on which to base decisions and actions. That's about all you can do. Too soon they will have to trust themselves.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It is not the example.....it is our world leader ship,that I worry about
Worrying about the world's leadership will do nothing to change it. The forces at play go back millennia. Democracy and capitalism are crap, but the alternatives are generally worse.

My parents survived the Great Depression and weren't spared its challenges, and nothing that I've lived through comes close to what they went through. But I learned from them, both good and bad, and that has helped me navigate what life throws at me.

It's almost exactly the one year anniversary to the day when I was told that I could die at any second following an angiogram. Came out of nowhere as I was asymptomatic. I can say that I wasn't thinking of the sad state of world politics at that moment. Strangely enough, I wasn't scared or worried. That would have changed nothing. I followed the regimen that my hematologist gave me while waiting to see if I would survive. THAT, I could do something about.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Uncensored crap is still crap, only more so.
Uncensored news, from people who are independent of the corporate news cabal is essential for a functioning democracy. In addition, the X platform provides "Community Notes" -- a brilliantly successful 'fact checking' system by which additional perspective/correction is provided ONLY if agreed to by multiple parties who usually disagree with each other. Once freedom of expression is experienced, there is not going back to corporate talking heads.

All news is biased because all people are biased. Therefore, the bias should be understood upfront and not hidden.
The biggest censorship is limiting what gets reported. On platforms such as X, everything is reported, and YOU get to make up your own mind -- not a huge corporation, not one political party, not the "elites", not the crazies on either side.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
beg to differ. Newspapers have always been simply mouthpieces for the owners. One only needs to read the papers of 1700 and 1800's. Granted opinions were "mostly" relegated to the "Op-Ed" pages but, slanted journalism is part and parcel of the media.
TV and Radio were subject to regulation that newspapers were not, and as a "public service" they weren't obligated to make money for their network, but to work in the public's interest.

That all blew up when Roone Arledge pushed to have the news redefined as a profit center, just like sports, at ABC. The other networks followed suit and the entire culture of TV news changed. Opinion got merged into news and sometimes became news.

The Yellow Press certainly existed since before the invention of the printing press. I've seen The Front Page.

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
The news that the major networks present is strictly politcal and biased to whatever their Agenda is today. Gone are the days of old news with the likes of Walter Cronkite and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.