PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
It seems to be widely held that the normal path down the pipe smoking trail looks something like aromatics first to English blends to strong non aromatics...something like the straight Virginians or VaPers. What have been the experiences of this group? Did you all start out with aromatic burleys? OTCs? Or did you jump into the deep end first?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Started out with the typical sweet smelling aro's until I finally realized that they had absolutely no taste nor did they satisfy me in any way. I then delved into the VaPer's, burleys etc. and eventually the English blends and never went back to the aro's and seriously doubt that I ever will. If I want something that smells nice/sweet I might just as well light up a scented candle. :wink:

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have only been smoking a pipe regjlarly for about 6 months now, so my tastes are probably still evolving. I started out smoking aro's and I still have a few cellared (MM Great Dane, 4Noggins Lord Methley, Lane 1Q), but after a few months they started tasting the same. A friend at a local tobacco shop introduced me to MM965 and I haven't smoked an aro since. I have grown to love latakia and english blends and I don't see myself smoking anything else for a while.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like many, I smoked aromatics (from Tinder Box in my case) for a starter, for a long time. Later I went to mild English, and then to mild-to-strong, and in recent years to include burley non-aro blends, Va., Va/Per, and now dark fired as an additional flavoring tobacco. However, unlike some, I have continued to enjoy the entire keyboard of blends. I still like an aromatic, albeit tobacco flavor forward, as a change of pace. I actually find some of the robust blends gentler in terms of tongue bite and feeling good, which really surprised me. Blends that I was led to believe might kind of knock me over were satisfying and not troublesome at all. For all that I enjoy some of the full-strength blends, sometimes an aromatic is just right for the moment.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I started with Capt Black as long time casual pipe smoker. Now that I am more serious, Aromatics to English to Non Aromatics is an apt description.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Started with aromatics, then sort of jumped into English and Virginias at the same time. For me, it was less about moving from one to the other, but moving from low quality to high.
My first tobacco after cheap bulk aros was Escudo. Hated it as I had no clue what I was doing. It is now my favorite.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Started with Carter Hall, Prince Albert, SWR, Half & Half, and some other OTC tobaccos. I stuck with Carter Hall and Half and Half, until I realized I wasn't much of a fan of Burley tobaccos, or OTC tobaccos for that matter. Down the line, I discovered a local B&M that has since closed, which carried some Lane aromatics, Peter Stokkebeye's English Oriental Supreme, Luxury Navy Flake, and some random tins by various blenders. I left with the two PS leafs, and Lane 1Q. I remember where I was, what I was doing, and who I was with, when I tried my first English tobacco. That was in essence, the moment I became a full fledged piper. Since then, I've learned that I'm a Virginia guy mainly, with a certain fondness for Dark Fired Kentucky, and the occasional bowl of My Mixture 965. I also happened to enjoy the only Lakeland blend to fill my pipes.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
When I bought my first pipe, I thought I'd be able to get tinned tobacco easily in town; but I couldn't, and so was stuck with OTC options till my order of Nightcap, Durbar, and Sixpence arrived. My first bowl from that order was of Nightcap, and I knew I had found a new love. I have no interest in Aromatics, I suppose because of my experience with Captain Black Dark, and Royal. I am exploring all other types, but am especially looking at Latakia heavy blends.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I started with aromatics, discovered latakia and that was all I smoked for a while. Now, I smoke anything and everything. Mostly lat blends, but have, in rotation, VaPers, burley blends, and some aros as well. I don't like every blend, but appreciate every genre.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Despite VaPers and straight Virginias also being "English" in my opinion, I pretty much followed the evolution as queried above, except I am now C&D Bayou Morning or Old Joe Krantz in the A.M. and C&D Engine 99 or Dunhill Aperitif in the P.M. .

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I did something similar, although I also sampled, back in those long ago days when pipe tobacco was easily found, such blends as Sail and Troost. Exactly how it all came down, I no longer recall, since it was close to 50 years ago. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I began with English, Virginia's and Vapers, never tried an aromatic until just a couple of years ago( that lasted about 2 months or so and dropped them). After about 2 years I discovered Virginia Flakes that did not contain any Red Virginia as I have an allergic reaction to those( I did not know it at the time, but found my way to blends without it). I have been smoking strictly flakes that are Virginia, Vaper and Vaburs ever since. I find that I get a cooler and more flavorful smoke from my flakes than I do with any other type of tobacco. I obviously don't mind the extra things that go into smoking flakes as it has become part of my ritual.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I didn't follow any specific path, I just tried a wide variety of blends and narrowed it down from there. I found that I love Va blends (I'm smoking Anni Kake as I type this) and certain aromatics and burley blends. Just as important, I discovered that I cannot stand Latakia, Lakeland florals, and anything with tonquin. Now I explore the categories I like for specific blends.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I didn't follow any specific path, I just tried a wide variety of blends and narrowed it down from there. I found that I love Va blends (I'm smoking Anni Kake as I type this) and certain aromatics and burley blends. Just as important, I discovered that I cannot stand Latakia, Lakeland florals, and anything with tonquin. Now I explore the categories I like for specific blends.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
My first tobacco was called Manhattan Twilight. It was a black cavendish blend from Nat Sherman.Then I switched to aromatics from Boswell's. My introduction to latakia was Frog Morton Cellar. That blend is still in my rotation. My introduction to virginias and VaPers came as a gift from one of the forum members over here who sent me close to 15 different Va/VaPer blends. I pretty much smoke all those genres, depending on what I feel like smoking. I still smoke aromatics, namely Lane 1 Q, Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream and Boswell's Northwoods. Lately,Chatham Manor has also been good. There is so much tobacco out there. It doesn't really matter where you start, just that you be open to all the different kinds. Smoke what you like, buy what looks interesting. If you don't like it, you can trade with someone who does or jar it up. Some of the blends I tried a year ago that I thought were awful are so good now. I just wasn't ready for them.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started off with aromatics. Then I tried a few English blends that I didn't really care for, so I gave up on Latakia. In an attempt to branch out from aromatics I ordered up some VaPers and am enjoying them quite a bit. Not sure if I'll ever become a fan of Latakia though.

Status
Not open for further replies.