PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
What do we discuss concerning most of the goopy goopies?
The goopiness of them, duh! Like. Captain Black has a medium level of goopiness. Pinching it between your fingers and dropping it, it tends to hold it's pinched shape quite well, but you get little or no residue on your fingers from the goopiness. However, with Molto Dulce, you can roll it into a ball and play tennis with it, and packing a bowl leaves quite a bit of goopiness on your fingers, comparable to the goopiness left on your fingers when eating a bag of Cheetos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
From mso489

much made of Black Frigate with rum
Black Frigate's not an aromatic. :crazy:
Anyway, I have found that after a few decades of smoking and refining technique, I can taste nearly every aromatic I smoke. All has to do with smoking them cool. Too much heat will destroy the flavor of an aromatic.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On the subject of aromatics versus non aromatics I often wonder if an inferior leaf is used in making aromatics.
Why would a manufacturer use top quality leaf only to then drench it in a strawberry/cherry/egg custard/banana flavoured sauce?
T'would be rather like being served lobster and then pouring tomato ketchup all over it :roll:
Just my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would also like to add to the above, a skilled tobacco blender working with a wide range of differing leaves can really work some magic in the flavour department by using tobacco and nothing else.
So many flavours can be brought to the fore in the right hands without having to resort to the chemical cabinet full of synthetic flavourings.
For goodness sake, we ingest enough chemicals as it is so why add to that?
Regards,
Jay.

Jan 8, 2013
I would also like to add to the above, a skilled tobacco blender working with a wide range of differing leaves can really work some magic in the flavour department by using tobacco and nothing else.
And the same skilled tobacco blender can work some magic in the flavor department by adding flavors to the same tobacco. :puffy:

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I've noticed the type "English aromatic" is this an attempt at middle ground between the two? Haven't tried one yet,

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There are shit tons of pipe tobacco styles. Do yourself a favor and try a couple of blends from each type. if you like a particular type, then you can dive in to experiment with those types of blends. You might also find that you don't like a particular type after trying a few, then you can save time and money by avoiding that type.
If you find something you really like, then I recommend you don't spend an iota of time questioning your choice if someone else posts a contrary opinion. Smoke What You Like

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In the background, but adds an overall sweetness to the blend. Much the same as a Navy Flake with rum.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think that,in response to the OP, a lot of folks who smoke Aros don't post on forums, or write reviews. They smoke a pipe, but aren't hobbyists. Nothing wrong with that. mind you - just a different way to go about it. :puffpipe:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I think I'm going to have to give Black Frigate a try
Don't do it Lad! Heed the warning! It is the Devil's weed itself! If you start smoking it, soon you'll be wearing a patch over your eye, talking funny sailing lingo like "walk the plank" and will soon have this irresistible urge to start posting pictures of old sail ships!
As to aros, I just really got into them about a year ago. I can leave most of them I've tried behind but the ones I really like are fine, just that I think they are best mixed with a little of something else to make the flavor and aroma more subtle. I suspect that the many aros people tout as aros for the "non-aro smoker" are sort of along the same idea.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Also, an aro depends most often on the chemical flavoring that has been added and the tobacco just mainly holds that flavor.
I was thinking about this in parallel to:
1. Soft drinks versus old style ginger beer (for example)

2. Flavored coffee

3. Barbecue-flavored mayonnaise and products of that ilk

4. That fake butter stuff on popcorn

5. The production of pop music
Our society is manic for authenticity, although perhaps not the real kind, because we sense that there is a disconnect between what we are told is the truth and what seems to be.
In particular, there is a lingering sense that the consensual hallucination in which we participate through socializing acts more to conceal than reveal.
That being said, I started with aromatics and can still see the appeal. My experiences with aromatics after that point however were not really inspiring, mainly Lane 1Q which seemed like the equivalent of diet orange-flavored caffeine free sugar free soda, to me. But, that was mostly because of how goopy it was. These soda pop aromatics are not the whole of the genre.
For example, there is that tasty looking orange stuff that ChasingEmbers keeps posting about. Technically, it is said that Royal Yacht is an aromatic, and it is the most supreme of tobaccos. Lakelands might be aromatics, and many of those are quite good, if one can avoid the worst of the soapiness. And of course, Prince Albert is lightly aromatic, with the chocolate/fruit/whisky/uranium flavor bringing out the underlying nuttiness in the the backyard Burley they make it with.
I suppose it is important to me to keep an open mind. The real difficulty there is that I like low-sugar tobaccos because they are less acidic and I get more flavor. Might be just how I'm wired.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That it is an aromatic, or that it is the most supreme of tobaccos?
Topping flavor does not seem very intense on Royal Yacht, but it seems like something is there -- prune juice and cognac, or something -- to mimic the flavor of Perique.
Or maybe I am wrong. The only solution is to load a bowl of it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.