PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I switched from Captain Black to Lane 1-Q and I've been very satisfied. I also like the 7 Seas Royal and Altadis Creme Brulee. Nat Sherman Riverside Whiskey is a mild, not too aro, aro blend which is definitely worth trying.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For aromatics I'd reccommend any of the 7 Seas line from MacBaren as well as their Vanilla Cream (loose or flake cut both are good). Also I'd say to pick up a tin of Peterson's Holiday Seaosn 2011 if it's still available as well as their Special Reserve 2011 blend. Both great aros.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm not big on aromatics, but I will definitely second the recommendation for W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture. Also, Amphora Full Aroma and Amphora Regular. Again, the Dutch style aromatics seem to rely on a formula of lightly perfuming high quality tobacco while American aromatics seem to steep low to average grade tobaccos in casing sauce.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Again, the Dutch style aromatics seem to rely on a formula of lightly perfuming high quality tobacco while American aromatics seem to steep low to average grade tobaccos in casing sauce.
This goes for the Danish style aromatics as well.

vroomfondel

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2011
Zurich
I'd second the vote for McClelland Deep Hollow. Very nice and sweet tobacco with a lovely room note. This particular tobacco hasn't been sauced to death as well so you still get a lovely VA taste.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
If you want more bang for your buck - contact pipesandcigars.com and order an 8 ounce bag of Altadis Black Spice - it is super cheap and it smokes wonderfully well for a value priced Aromatic. The flavoring is cinnamon and nutmeg and you get a very cool, dry smoke which is an added bonus since some Aros burn very wet and can bite.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you want more bang for your buck - contact pipesandcigars.com and order an 8 ounce bag of Altadis Black Spice
Personally, I would advise getting an ounce first and seeing if you like it. Yeah, it'll cost more per ounce, but that's better than getting stuck with something you don't like. I did that late last summer with their English blends, and found some real winners - and some I don't want to try again. :puffy:

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
My favourite aromatic so far has got to be Peterson Connoisseurs Choice, its quite a sweet tobacco, and gets great reviews. Either that or Sunset Breeze.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
My advice: sample lots of different tobaccos. Some you'll like, others you won't. You won't be able to define why you like 'em or not at first. Put the ones you don't like away in sealed mason jars. Your tastes might change and something you didn't care for at first might appeal later. The tobacco will stay good for years and will likely mellow. Or you can put the stronger aromatics out as potpourri. :)
Simon

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Altadis Creme Brulee smoked a whole lot better after I had jarred it for a couple of weeks. It's pretty moist stuff. I'd reccommenj jarring any bulk aros.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Peterson Connoisseurs Choice is very nice . I like Sillems blends as well . I still like PS Swiss and would smoke more of it but it is getting hard to find . You would be hard pressed to find a better line of ARO blends than those of Peter Stokkebye . They are inexpensive and readily available in bulk both on line and at the brick and morter stores . A little of each will help you find your way to a favorite flavor or flavors . Then you can branch out from there . A lot of people like http://www.boswellpipes.com/ although I have yet to try them .Have fun along your journey .

oystrpir8

Lurker
Aug 12, 2012
Oakland, CA
I have been trying to smoke two bowls consecutively whenever I can in order to build my comparisons. Last night I tried my first English blend with Latakia. It's a whole different animal. Kind of like comparing a zebra to a horse. There is a reason these are called non aromatics. I tend toward aromatics in my tastes and my favorite so far has been Black Gold from Hilandscigars.com. It NEVER bites, is pleasant and mild and has an wonderful room note. That website also offers a sampler of their best aromatics and all have excellent reviews. My next order will definitely be this sample pack. BTW - don't mix up their black gold and Black Gold Plus with OTC Captain Black. They are not the same thing.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
"I don't always smoke aromatics but when I do, I prefer Savinelli Cavendish"
Seriously though, this stuff is pretty good. I generally find aros fairly one-dimensional and unsatisfying but a few of the better one's I've tried:
1. Savinelli Cavendish
2. Gatlinburlier Mountain Mall Mix (aged/dried)
3.1Q
4. McClelland Holiday Spirit annual vintages

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
i know this thread is fairly old, but i have to throw a recommendation out for boswells aros. christmas cookie is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.