PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Hey guys, I'm looking to place a tobacco order either today or tomorrow. I currently have some 1Q, Mississippi River, Smooth Sailing, and EMP. I'm looking to get 2-3 aromatics, probably a vanilla, a cherry, and maybe just throw another one in the mix.
Does anyone have any input on a good cherry smoke? a good vanilla smoke?? an overall good aromatic?
Going through the list of aros on smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com is leaving me stuck. There are so many that sound amazing, yet so many that are probably not even that good. I know a lot of it will boil down to opinion, and I have to find what I like....I get that. I was hoping maybe one of you, or more, could point me in the right direction of where to start. What brands make the best aros? What is the best cherry aro you have smoked? What is the best vanilla aro you have smoked? What is the all around best aromatic you have smoked?
What would you all recommend?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Before winter set in I enjoyed a few bowls of McClelland's Grey Havens. While not a true Aromatic, full of casings and flavors, I thought it fit the bill.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Johnny:
You've already got a good "overall aromatic" in 1Q. If you're looking for something a little different, I'd suggest Stokkebye's Nougat, one of the most popular aromatics in the world.
Cherry and vanilla aromatics can be tough to do well; if you get a lot of "cherry" and "vanilla" flavor, they can bite very badly. But if you want more real tobacco flavor to come through, you'll likely have a more satisfying overall experience. . . but then you'll get less of the added flavors. Aromatics aren't my main thing, so you may get more well-informed suggestions from others. But I've enjoyed MacBaren's Vanilla Cream (for vanilla) and Rattray's Terry Red (for cherry). The Terry Red won't be a strong cherry flavor, though. Both use high-quality leaf.
Bob

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Terrygoldman - I'll definitely check that blend out! I love 1-Q, so I assume this stuff will fit in just nicely.
Leacha - I've never even heard of Grey Havens yet. I'll look into it for sure. Thanks!
Junkyarddawg - Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard a lot about the vanilla flake, people seem to swear by it. Not too familiar with that cherry blend. I was originally looking between Lane's Very Cherry and McClelland's Three Cherry blend. I'll definitely look at G&H Black Cherry. Thanks!

Jan 8, 2013
I highly recommend Black Cordial for a cherry blend. I know Tinderbox sells it, but I am fairly certain it is rebranded from something else, and should be available in bulk online. It has a nice light cherry flavor, with a hint of vanilla. It burns cool, and even cooler if you allow it to dry a bit. No gurgles, no sour juice, just a nice fragrant tobacco. finest aro i have tried yet.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Right now the best Aro is Molto Dolce BUT IMO leave the tin open to dry overnight first. You will be rewarded.
+1 on Molto Dolce. It really is one of the best aromatics out there. Like rsuninv stated though let is dry a bit for maximum awesome.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Great recommendations guys! Thanks!!
When it comes to the vanilla blends I will probably choose the vanilla flake to start with, I've heard great things about it throughout my internet searches and youtube videos.
For cherry, well...I still don't know. I'll take the recommendations you all gave me, do a little more research and pick one. I'll probably end up just randomly choosing one, if I like it, cool...if not, well at least I know.
What about other aros? Like chocolate mint, caramel, strawberry, etc....there are so many to choose from, I have no idea which ones are good or not, or where to even start.
What about the 7 sevens blends?

Jan 8, 2013
Other flavors... most of my smoking experience has been with blends from my local Tinderbox. Being stuck in WA, I can't order anything online. You can order directly from the WA Tinderbox though. They have a store specific blend called Waffle House that has a sweet, syrupy thing going. I smoked about a pound of it last year. The Chartwell is good too, though I am not too sure what its flavored with. It has a more dense, robust taste than alot of aros. You make even like the McClelland Vanilla Black, it is a very strong flavored vanilla. When you open the bag you will probably contemplate eating it.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
What about other aros? Like chocolate mint, caramel, strawberry, etc....there are so many to choose from, I have no idea which ones are good or not, or where to even start.
I would also recommend looking at Boswell Pipes' website for some of their blends. Piper's Pleasure is a really tasty chocolate blend with coffee hints. No Bite Delight is a really good caramel blend. Christmas Cookie is another excellent blend. I probably have about 3 lbs of each in my cellar. J.R. and Dan Boswell are aromatic masters, and you likely wouldn't be disappointed with any of them. I am almost a pure aro smoker, but their Bear Blend is also a great crossover.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Another vote for Molto Dolce. That's some real good stuff.
Another one I like is WO Larsen Signature.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
In addition to the fine recommendatinons above, I would recommend giving Pipeworks & Wilke a call and getting a sampler. For Aromatics, I recommend No.191, Vermont Maple Cavendish, and Rumcake. Also No.5 as an English crossover aromatic.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's a bit more esoteric, but the "My Own Blend" line, available from site sponsor The Danish Pipe Shop, has some exceptional aros. I have neither the money or time to try all that they offer, but I love Livgarde Vintage, Jubilaeums and their Winter Special (which...ack! seems to be sold out).
Take note that there are two separate pages of MOB on the site:
http://www.danishpipeshop.com/group.asp?group=26

http://www.danishpipeshop.com/group.asp?group=54
80.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You have opinions, I have expressions
ex·press

ikˈspres/

verb

verb: express; 3rd person present: expressesion; past tense: expressed; past participle: expressed; gerund or present participle: expressing

squeeze out (liquid or air).

synonyms: squeeze out, press out, extract More

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Im not big on aromatics... I do like one.. Mcbarren's vanilla flake is pretty great. I also enjoy mcbarrens 7 seas black. Good stuff. good luck. Smeigs

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Molto Dolce is great!
If you want something that tastes like a strawberry milkshake, really, try

Sutliff Moulin Rouge.
Mix the two and you can go into sugar shock (not really).

Status
Not open for further replies.