PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
I too grabbed a few ounces because of the reviews but found it too bright, maybe too young is better. I think it's too bright as my palate favores St.james flake. So in the back it goes to get older and perhaps wiser.

I totally agree with your assessment. Its hard to appreciate any other VaPers after experiencing the glory of St. James Flake.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I too grabbed a few ounces because of the reviews but found it too bright, maybe too young is better. I think it's too bright as my palate favores St.james flake. So in the back it goes to get older and perhaps wiser.
Dude, you're comparing a Rolls Royce Phantom to a Lincoln Continental so it's gonna be better.

Maybe not that extreme but...

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have new and old Match Elizabethan (Victorian). I don’t buy this ”change” in mixture which, would make little sense. If an individual has an allergy or sensitivity to PG I could appreciate some of these complaints. I think Sutliff takes an unfounded hit on the PG subject. I have never had a blend from any manufacturer that would not dry out. I have found PG to be have no taste either. I have used PG in humidors for many, many years and I can attest to it drying out.

Reactions: shanez

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
My impression is that the match recipes for Victorian and Elizabethan are the same, but Victorian has noticeably more PG. Drying it helps some, but still, Yuck !

I'll suffer through my last half-pound of it, but from then on I'll just buy Peterson Elizabethan tins.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, I'd definately consider it to be an "aromatic", judging by my morning bowl I had today. At least that's what came to mind as I smoked through it
Interesting. You must be tasting the sweetness of the PG? I bought mine literally right before the name change but mine came in a sealed bag that looked like what @chasingembers posted and it said “Elizabethan” just like his. I noticed no PG flavor just seemed like newer leaf than I normally care for.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Interesting. You must be tasting the sweetness of the PG? I bought mine literally right before the name change but mine came in a sealed bag that looked like what @chasingembers posted and it said “Elizabethan” just like his. I noticed no PG flavor just seemed like newer leaf than I normally care for.
My bag came in the mail a week ago, so it's more than likely super fresh. Maybe it will fade a little in time. For now, I'll enjoy it for what it is. Now I wish I had some old stuff to compare it to. Hopefully someone has both and can share their experience

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Well i guess now I won’t have to worry about back orders and sold outs if I decide to cellar more when they next go on sale. If you folks think that today’s tobaccos have way too much PG, I think many of you would have been very disappointed smokers 30+ years ago. The five lb bags I used to work with could leave your hands stained from the moisture of the tobacco. I, also, believe that folks used to smoke there pipe tobacco at greater humidity levels than current pipe smokers prefer.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
My order was January 20 of this year so that’s how recently it was still (to my detection) normally cased/humidified.

Reactions: cortezattic

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I think there is a distinction between newer leaf and the humectant. I would concur that there has been some of this blend and a few others recently that, are definitely in need of some additional aging. I am, also, not sure where the idea of “sweetness“ comes from:
From the Healthline website: “Propylene glycol is a synthetic, colorless, odorless, tasteless liquid that belongs to the same chemical class as alcohol.”

Status
Not open for further replies.