PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Aromatics -- of the goopy kind, not the mild topping of Royal Yacht or University Flake -- strike me as an attempt to placate the herd by offering an overly sweetened product with a simpler, "safer" flavor than its natural taste. I think of the McSugarBurgers, soft drinks, wine coolers and other products for mass consumption. For this reason, I'm philosophically averse to sodapop aromatics.
That being said, if I found one I could enjoy, I'd smoke it. C&D Autumn Evening comes closest.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
That Buffalo Soldier was magnificent. This Autumn Evening is delicious. If AE was made of any other tobacco, I think It would suck.

The thought has occasionally struck me that the topping on some tobaccos is there to make unpalatable tobaccos taste more like other blends that smokers would have been familiar with at the time. The topping on Royal Yacht makes a stronger African Virginia taste more like a VaPer of sorts. By itself the African Virginias can be bitter strong on the palate. I found that in some of my own processing of my own grown. The plumb of Perique and the anise of a casing for straight Virginias, such as Astleys adds anise as a casing, and so do several other British blenders, all come together for a balanced flavor. Wallace Flake and Petersons UF are similar, but with bolder burleys being amended.
Whereas your soda pop stuff is ammending a less palatable weak burley to taste less like tobacco and more like a Germanic pastry.
When our people were first exploring tobaccos from the Native Americans, they were adding maple syrups and other carbs of sorts to control the cardboard like burn of straight tobaccos, especially around the time we were developing the Cavendish methods. So, it's easy to see how both directions occurred.
Sorry, I was just pontificating out loud, ha ha!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It all comes down to whether the topping is complementary, or whether it is a flavor replacement.
Although I love a good Strudel. Ever notice how Motzek Strang resembles a Strudel?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I think SodaPop aromatic pipe tobacco is a great sub genre. When it's said, you know exactly what is implied. Doesn't mean that you are any less of a pipe smoker, it's just that the Added Flavors are what really pleases you. Something like Autumn Evening (AE is the only soda pop tobacco that I've liked so far) still has that tobacco undertone, but the primary note is the maple/vanilla/whiskey. Ennerdale is a scented aromatic that compliments the virginia's and Burley. The almond/lavender/various fruits/ tonquin really meld well with the tobacco. Subjectivity may be at play here.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like this thread a lot. I don't mind aros so it's good to know which blends you "purists" can appreciate. Adding Cortez, I especially appreciated you recommending and linking to Captain Bob's Blend! I hadn't known about that one so I'm adding it to my list as I love aromatics with latakia. Thanks!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If we're talking technical aromatics, I'd have to speak up for Irish Flake and University Flake, but they're not sodapop aros.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Something like Autumn Evening (AE is the only soda pop tobacco that I've liked so far) still has that tobacco undertone, but the primary note is the maple/vanilla/whiskey.
AE strikes me as a great tobacco. The topping is too overwhelming for me, but it's good quality leaf that smells so good I want to eat it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
leaf that smells so good I want to eat it
I was cooking omelettes with sausage and cheese, while smoking Autumn Evening. With the sausage smell mingling with AE, I thought I was inhaling piles of pancakes and sausages. Reminded me of Waffle House at 3O'clock in the morning after a three or four hour concert. Suddenly I was 22 years old again with hair. The power of Aromatics.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I'm new to pipe-smoking, and I haven't yet met a pipe tobacco I don't like, so I don't really qualify to post in this thread. But one thing that has struck me is that in the whole discussion of aro/non-aro, it seems that the differences in tobacco are so often exaggerated. I don't find aromatic, non-aromatic, and "English" (latakia) blends to be so radically different from each other.
For example, I still can't really detect any discernible flavor in Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend. I believe it's there because it's always listed as an aromatic, but it doesn't taste dramatically different from some non-aromatics I have. I would think this sort of aro would appeal to those who mainly smoke non-aros, so I'm not surprised to see it listed here a few times.
From the way some people describe it, smoking an aro is like smoking a piece of bubble-gum, while smoking a latakia-based blend is like smoking a tire fire. I found both to be delightful and not all that different. I think a lot of people would enjoy a wider variety of tobacco if reviews didn't so often use such strong language in describing the flavors. I was initially scared off from trying a lot of tobaccos that I now really enjoy.
But again, I don't have a refined palate, so perhaps I'll start being as sensitive as others before long. :D

A buddy of mine dropped by the store today and loaded up my aro pipe with something New from Dan Pipe Tobacco called Choo Choo Train. Smoked slowly, it was the flavor of apricots and... maybe honey? With a slight spicyness to it. Lora came back to my work area and asked me if I was burning potpourri, because it smelled like cinnamon. It did have a very cinnamon smell. I probably won't buy any, but it was an interesting smoke. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is the strength. Like most aromatics, it just didn't have enough nicotine to keep me interested.

I already have almost a hundred pounds of weak Virginia flakes that I know that I can chain smoke all day, and at least get a tobacco taste fix from. But, I know that if I smoked a weak aromatic all day, my tongue would have blisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.