PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
From my (limited) experience, a couple of aromatics that seem more "old-fashioned" rather than heavily cased would be G&H Black and Brown, and Peretti's Blend 102.
From the descriptions, I suspect a number of the Peretti aromatics are like that, although I've only tried the 102.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Erinmore Flake

St. Bruno
Believe it or not (I didn’t at first) but I get a lot of compliments on the aroma of my pipe when I smoke Old Joe Krantz
Glenn Piper is another great one but it might be a bit more heavily flavored than you’re looking for but it’s a totally unique tobacco, it’s a VaPer at its core.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
I'd like to add A.&C. Petersen's "Caledonian Highland Cream" to the list of suggestions. Very good base blend, casing not too sweet and a highly agreeable room note, if my wife's word is anything to go by.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Do try Lane Ltd "HGL" which is described as a mild, English-aromatic. It's really Lane's "RPL-6" = "Captain Black"-original..... with a small amount of Latakia added for some smokey flavor. Too mild?....add a little blending Latakia for more of a hit. Better yet:
Try Wilke's "High Hat" for a really different English, with a unique fragrance. Not too strong, but it definitely has more balls than "HGL"
John Patton's "Storm Front" and "Dark and Stormy" are also very nice, high-quality blends. 4Noggins.com sells these blends, and more. Get yourself a sampler package of tobacco blends.
Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2019
@sumusfumas Got some HGL the other day, it's a new favorite. It all helps. The local B&M's are horrible. I just took pipe smoking back up, and when I used to I pretty much stuck to McClelland blends so I was lost, but I'm starting to figure it out again. I'm gradually ordering from P&C. A couple of tins and 2 or 3 ounces of a few different bulk blends each time. I got 6 bulk and 3 tins this time. None of them are unsmokable, though the Sutliff needed drying. I ended up with

Lane HGL

Sut. Peach Cobbler and Heavy English

PS 17 English Luxury

C&D Byzantium

Newminster Blackberry Brandy
and tins of
Cult Blood Red Moon

H&H Heart of Darkness

Plum Pudding
I love the HGL and PS 17. The Blood Red is awesome too(Starting to think the aros I've had previously were just trash). I like the peach cobbler, but I had to dry it for a day. I have a feeling I'll like the Plum Pudding as well, but I'm saving that for my birthday tomorrow to have in the Savinelli I bought with a glass of Ardbeg 10.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake (which I think might be called “Classic Flake” now), and Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. Both have a great room note but with solid and satisfying underlying tobaccos

Status
Not open for further replies.