PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The Sanctuary Pipe Shoppe in San Luis Obispo sells RLP-6 as Monks. First tobacco I fell in love with and even though I mostly smoke Virginias and VaPers there always a little room for Monks.

It is a little too moist. I pack a bowl and let it set out for a couple hours or if I let it sit out on a leather valet it only needs 1/2 hour or so (Las Vegas weather).

Hope that helps. Also I clean my pipes with 190 proof alcohol and haven’t had a problem.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Sanctuary Pipe Shoppe in San Luis Obispo sells RLP-6 as Monks. First tobacco I fell in love with and even though I mostly smoke Virginias and VaPers there always a little room for Monks.

It is a little too moist. I pack a bowl and let it set out for a couple hours or if I let it sit out on a leather valet it only needs 1/2 hour or so (Las Vegas weather).

Hope that helps. Also I clean my pipes with 190 proof alcohol and haven’t had a problem.
there are a few blends I do that with and it makes a world of difference and it takes more like a few hours then half.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recommend Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, not the Regular, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs. It's not a match to the Lane blend, but it is tobacco forward and an even burn. And yes, Granger is flavored with molasses, though it is sometimes sold as non-aromatic, causing confusion. You may know that 95% (or so) of pipe tobacco sales is aromatic. Forums members are a cadre of folks who tend toward non-aromatic, as I do, but most pipe smokers go with aromatics, so there are probably thousands of blends out there, once you get on track with brands and blends you like.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I recommend Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, not the Regular, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs. It's not a match to the Lane blend, but it is tobacco forward and an even burn. And yes, Granger is flavored with molasses, though it is sometimes sold as non-aromatic, causing confusion. You may know that 95% (or so) of pipe tobacco sales is aromatic. Forums members are a cadre of folks who tend toward non-aromatic, as I do, but most pipe smokers go with aromatics, so there are probably thousands of blends out there, once you get on track with brands and blends you like.
yeah labeling can be misleading and confusing. There are non aros that taste pretty aromatic and aros that taste pretty lightly cased. And two blends can have the same description and be wildly different beasts.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
PG absorbs moisture abovea certain humidity level, releases it below a certain humidity level. The concentration determines the humidity % where it absorbs/rekeases at. Often used in cigar humidor humidification devices.

Reactions: shermnatman and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
RLP-6 is basically CB White. Nonetheless, if you let it sit out to dry a little your moisture issue will go away. That’s what I’ve done and I don’t have the crud and gurgling problem that you mentioned. Also, you might like Lane 1-Q, which is similar to CB Royal...

Aug 1, 2012
OP. If you actually decide to hunt it down, McClelland Holiday Spirit is an amazing aromatic. Not quite the same flavor profile as RLP-6 but fantastic nonetheless.

I apologize if you get your hands on some as I would bet you will be searching it out whenever you can.

Reactions: Professor B

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I ordered aromatics that were too moist, I mixed in Windsail Virginia [which comes rather dry so perfect for this application] until I reached the desired moisture.

These are my favourite aromatics atm. All smoke straight from the bag.

4noggins Butternut burley.
MacBarens Vanilla Cream Flake.
4noggins Trout Stream
All 4/4 blends IMO.

1Q is a good 3 star blend.

[Both of the 4nogs versions are cheaper than Scotty's but just as good]

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Try Macbarens Original Choice. Very good flavour and aroma.
Try packing the bowls of rlp-6 very lightly, this helps with blends smoked moist. I agree, some blends have more flavour smoked moist. Some have more flavour smoked drier.
-TimPiper

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Lane Ltd: "HGL" = "RPL-6" ....but with a small addition of Latakia. Aro-English.

I smoke thru a lot of HGL and it's good stuff. The small amount of added Latakia in HGL brings a little more flavor interest to the venerable Captain Black-original. I just spread some of the bulk out on a cookie sheet and let it dry for a few hours. Most pipe-tobaccos are sold too moist.

Jan 27, 2020
Really nothing to do with the original inquiry but I recommend everyone buy this while you still can:

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't taste PG much, so that is not a problem, but when I have a fifth of an ounce of aromatic in a jar for years, and it is still soupy moist, that worries me. That it is still wet, and that I haven't thrown it out.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.