PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

will46r

Might Stick Around
Mar 6, 2015
I'm a cigar smoker moving more towards pipes(blame Rx2man) I usually smoke 3 cigars a day, prior to that I was a long time tobacco chewer... Long time like from the ages of 8 to 44 and I didn't spit lol
I neeeeedddddd vitamin N. I was gifted some burley and I enjoy it, wife doesn't like the smell so I'm kinda stuck with aros in mixed company. Any suggestions? Thanks y'all

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Probably the easiest way to "boost" any aro is with some Five Brothers. That stuff kicks like a mule and shouldn't alter your aro flavors too much. Try a 50/50 with an aro blend that they like the smell of.
I'd consider the Lakeland stuff aros with a kick but I'm not sure that most people would find the room notes as pleasant as most aros.

There is some nicotine in all tobaccos, but I know what you mean. Most topped cavendish based aromatics are going to be rather low in nicotine. The aromatics flakes, such as Firedance, Erinmore, or Planta are going to have a good kick to them, but they are so lightly topped, that it won't do you any good on the room note department. There are strong Lakeland aromatics that will lay you out, but the room note is that of an old granny and her pink soaps. I can't stand the stuff, but some love it.
I might suggest a mix or two. Molto Dolce by Sutliff is about the most crowd pleasing aromatic on the market, but very little nicotine. I like to add a slice of Coconut Rope by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. You can get it at smokingpipes.com. Just one slice to a couple of pinches of Molto Dolce will satisfy the room and your cravings. Adjust mix to your preference. Mixing and matching blends can be fun, but I don't know of any other way to get an aromatic and nicotine.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Royal Yatch is listed and technically an aromatic. I was a cigar smoker for years too but you better have your big boy britches for that one.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
+1 on Molto Dolce cut with some high nicotine tobacco. I haven't tried the coconut rope, but that mix sounds really good.
Can be a little more difficult to mix with cube cut as one is a ribbon; also would be a downer to lose the ability to gravity pack cube cut by mixing in other types of aromatic cuts.
Another option that doesn't come up much might be to purchase some casings and add to your cube cut or other higher nicotine blend(s). I have never personally used them so can't speak to how good they are, I just know they are out there.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To me Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake seems a bit more potent with some age on it. I first had it straight from the tin and it was pretty mellow. The next tin I had I let sit around for about four months and it was a bit stronger to me. Not sure why. I didn't get the sweats or anything, just a nice little buzzing in the head.
I agree though, you'll probably have to cut a heavily cased aro with a more potent blend to balance the room note and nicotine hit.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Peterson's University Flake is my favourite aromatic. It is medium to full bodied with an OK room note.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
IMO, i don't think Erinmore, Firedancer and MacB Vanilla are high in nic at all. Royal yacht is definitely a step up from the latter 3, but certainly no stronger (if not less strong) than a full bodied habano/oscuro maduro cigar. Based on your OP, it sounds like you have a DAMN high tolerance for Lady N, which is the same with me, although sounds like you got me beat!
I would suggest, as Cosmic did, any of the flavored ropes. G&H make some fantastic examples such as rum, maple, coconut and sweet whiskey to name a few. They are pretty heavy in the nic department and taste delicious, offering a very full bodied and thick smoke. Hell, you can even chew the stuff if you get the itch. Have you only smoked Aro's or have you experimented around with different types of pipe tobacco? From my experience, Aro's and nicotine go together about as well as oil and water the majority of the time. Lakeland style casings added to flake tobacco or ropes aren't really aromatics and i wouldn't classify them as such. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. I hope you find some of this advice from myself and others helpful and it leads to you finding a new favorite(s).
Here is a link to some G&H ropes that might be of interest on one of our site sponsors website:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/gawith-hoggarth/bulk/index.cfm?tag=Rope

Hmmm, have you tried either Erinmore or Firedancer? They aren't exactly as strong as a rope, but they've got some umph to them. Erinmore affects me more than ODF does. I get a little swimmy headed.
Vanilla Flake, while I do enjoy it from time to time, it doesn't have any strength that I've noticed.
But, yeh, sometimes to get what you want, you have to do some mixing. But, while I do smoke the ropes by themselves occasionally, I don't think the wife would appreciate, as she is a key element in the original question. These would need something added to cut the smell of burning tires down a little, ha ha. Unless she liked to smell of cigars, these might not make the ladies swoon for us, ha ha.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
My new home blend is, 50% Billy Budd, 25% Black Latakia, and 25% Black XX Twist. You smoke that and you won't care what anyone has to say about the room note. Heh Heh Heh. :twisted:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Hmmm, have you tried either Erinmore or Firedancer? They aren't exactly as strong as a rope, but they've got some umph to them. Erinmore affects me more than ODF does. I get a little swimmy headed.
Not sure if you were referring to me, but yes i have tins of both Erinmore(ready rubbed) and Fire Dance currently in my stash. I recently smoked some of the Fire Dance and it is definitely mild to medium at most to me. I haven't smoked Erinmore in a while, i'll revisit that one very soon just to make sure, but from what i recall it is at most medium and certainly doesn't stick out in my memory as having any real potency of note.
I was on a rope kick for a few months a while back and was smoking everything from the gawith flavored ropes to Black Twish XX to Brown Bogie to Brown #4 rope. Although not ropes, dark birdseye and 1792 were very good as well but VERY high nicotine content. All of these blends mix well, obviously depending on what you are mixing them with.

will46r

Might Stick Around
Mar 6, 2015
Other than B&M bulk I have Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Peterson University and another Burley flake I can't remember. Wife prefers me to smoke the aros when ahe ia around.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
++1 on the suggestions for Erinmore and Peterson University. Both have the nic. and a rather pleasant room note which shouldn't offend.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I agree with the suggestions to try the coconut twist from Gawith & Hoggarth. I have also tried beefing up some week aro's with 5 brothers as well, often with success.

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Has anyone tried Lane's Burley Light Without the Bite? I know Lanes usually smells decent.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
To the original poster, find a high N backy, even a cigar, and mix it with your wife's favorite aro.

Perhaps you'll learn to moderate your nicotine requirements by smoking a pipe. I think that's what's happening for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.