Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If you'd be up to pay postage, I'll send you a pipe (or two) but I really don't know how much that would cost you and it could very well be more than you are wanting to spend, I would offer to cover shipping as well but I'm penny pinching right now too, as my current situation I've found myself in is not the best. I'd like to help you out, just wished you lived closer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Also, do you have any brick and mortar shops near you?

I'm not familiar with this term, but I'm guessing it's what we call brick-a-brack shops. There's a couple, but they very rarely get pipes in. I'm going to have a hunt to see if there's any car boot sales or flea-markets scheduled close by.
B & M here means tobacconists, a vanishing breed.
But thrift shops (bric-a-brac) occasionally have some in.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I'm not familiar with this term
To expand on this, B&M is used to distinguish tobacconists that are walk-in shops and not simply online retailers. They have been built from brick and mortar (or wood, concrete, adobe, whatever); like the difference between a local book store and Amazon.
As for your original question, I would say that the pipes which you've linked to in your first post are the perfect example of what to avoid. Forget about figuring out what's wrong with them, just use them as a standard for shoddy pipes. Until you get a firmer grasp on discerning pipe quality, I would stick with briars made by companies with reputations for making reliable, smoke-able pipes. If you're on that tight of a budget, buy a corn cob from Missouri Meerschaum, which will serve you very well until you can afford a good briar.
The trouble with budget products is that you buy one and it's defective, then you buy a third and it breaks in two weeks. Then you by a third and it sucks, too. By the time you've bought your fourth, you could have just spent all that money on one decent product of quality construction that would have served you well for years.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
That said, I've got some unbranded briar pipes that are beautiful, superb smokers. The problem is that when you are buying online; unknown, unbranded, and used products are always gonna be a gamble. If you've got the funds and you're collecting, or if you've got the knowledge and know that what you are looking at is what you want, then that's no big deal. But if you're starting out, on a tight budget, and just want a decent pipe to smoke, it's much safer just to go with something that's widely recognized as a decent product.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If you'd be up to pay postage, I'll send you a pipe (or two) but I really don't know how much that would cost you and it could very well be more than you are wanting to spend, I would offer to cover shipping as well but I'm penny pinching right now too, as my current situation I've found myself in is not the best. I'd like to help you out, just wished you lived closer.
That's a very kind and warm gesture, hawky. Thank you. I need to stress, though, that I don't make these threads in the hope of such offers. I'm not suggesting for one minute anyone thinks this, but I am conscious of how much I talk about having a tiny budget.
B & M here means tobacconists, a vanishing breed.
Ah, I've seen plenty of mention about buying pipes from B & M, and all this time I thought they were referring to the US version of this UK chain.
tumblr_plcig5QV6d1w9drs0o1_400.png

But if you're starting out, on a tight budget, and just want a decent pipe to smoke, it's much safer just to go with something that's widely recognized as a decent product.
I can see this logic, and my head agrees, but my heart wants a nice-looking pipe. This is why I'm never going to entertain the idea of a cob. My heart wants a stubby/nosewarmer. I don't know if I'm unique in this, or maybe just a complete phoney who only wants to play at smoking a pipe, but for me smoking a pipe is about so much more than how well the pipe smokes. That's important, of course, but it's about how the pipe looks and feels. I want to cherish packing it, cleaning it... just looking at it while I ponder life.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Then your heart needs to spend about $120 minimum
I wasn't aware the style was particularly expensive. From what research I've done I certainly didn't get the impression they were particular sort after or at the higher end of the price scale. I've found expensive ones and I've found cheaper ones, just like any other pipe.
But I certainly bow to your better knowledge.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I wasn't aware the style was particularly expensive. From what research I've done I certainly didn't get the impression they were particular sort after or at the higher end of the price scale.
it's not necessarily the style that costs that much, it's the quality. You can certainly find something for $10, but it just probably won't work very well, or it will be defective, or break, or poison you slowly over time.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Check out the forum for pipes for sale, there's actually someone who just posted some very decent looking budget pipes.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
These are gorgeous, especially the Stubby Pot and Jaw Hanger!!
Chris Morgan pipes
Check out the forum for pipes for sale, there's actually someone who just posted some very decent looking budget pipes.
Will do, but I suspect I'll be limited to UK sellers.
Let me ask you this, how much (in USD) are you wiling to pay for a pipe? If I know this, maybe I can be of a bit more help?
Sorry, I missed this. I'd say $20 as of now.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I've never bought anything from that site or owned any of his pipes before, but I would definitely say that it seems like a much better choice than the ones from your first post. Far, far better. The description makes you feel comfortable, instead of wary. He says he stands by his products, gives a good and honest description of their quality, and they have pretty good reviews.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I've never bought anything from that site or owned any of his pipes before, but I would definitely say that it seems like a much better choice than the ones from your first post. Far, far better. The description makes you feel comfortable, instead of wary. He says he stands by his products, gives a good and honest description of their quality, and they have pretty good reviews.
Yeah, I found them through some guy on youtube who was raving about them... for what that's worth. Again, though, they're based in the States so you can lump another $20 (at least) on that price, providing he even ships to the UK.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You could also save a few quids per month and get a nice, brand new briar from the Mr Balandis site we were talking about in other threads.
The way I see it, you just got a brand new pipe. Enjoy it, while you put in a piggy bank the 10 quid you'd spend right now on an elcheapo pipe; do the same next month; by spring you'd be able to afford a nice, good quality yet inexpensive briar from that Polish carver.
I've been wanting a new briar for Virginias since last summer, but it wasn't until early this month that I was able to afford one. In the meanwhile, I smoked what other pipes, even cobs, I had. Not much wrong with waiting. I don't see why one would have to buy NOW.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
You could also save a few quids per month and get a nice, brand new briar from the Mr Balandis site we were talking about in other threads.
The way I see it, you just got a brand new pipe. Enjoy it, while you put in a piggy bank the 10 quid you'd spend right now on an elcheapo pipe; do the same next month; by spring you'd be able to afford a nice, good quality yet inexpensive briar from that Polish carver.
I've been wanting a new briar for Virginias since last summer, but it wasn't until early this month that I was able to afford one. In the meanwhile, I smoked what other pipes, even cobs I had. Not much wrong with waiting. I don't see why one would have to buy NOW.
All very true. I must admit I was on a bit of a downer with this new pipe having to go back, but a replacement is on its way, and who knows... it may just smoke like an absolute dream!
That said, I fully expect to find something somewhere warning that pear wood is highly explosive.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
If you are on facebook you can reach out to Chris Morgan. He has distribution in Europe, he may have one near you. He is a great guy to talk to, and always willing to help out. If you want a stubby shape, keep an eye out for a Kaywoodie Colt on fleabay, it is a great pipe and can often be had for your price. I once won one for about $15 if I recall correctly.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
If you are on facebook you can reach out to Chris Morgan. He has distribution in Europe, he may have one near you. He is a great guy to talk to, and always willing to help out. If you want a stubby shape, keep an eye out for a Kaywoodie Colt on fleabay, it is a great pipe and can often be had for your price. I once won one for about $15 if I recall correctly.
I'm not, but I suppose I could get someone else to. I didn't check to see if he had a contact email on his website. It wasn't your youtube video I watched, was it? And I know what you mean about being a decent guy. The guy in this video said he ordered one and was sent two!
I'll go look up them Colts, see what's on offer. Thanks.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don't do YouTube videos, but I am a fan (and friend) of Chris'. You'll find many of his customers are as fanatic as whatever video you saw. There is a whole group of Bones collectors on FB. If you want I'll see if he has an EU or GB specific distributor.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
For UK purchases Chris recommends Smoke King UK. There are the Morgan Pipes.
Thanks. I did use the European store finder on his website and found a place in Nottingham, but there were none of the Morgans there.
I've also emailed him about postage etc, so I guess he'll reply with a link the one you've pointed me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.