Are International Pipe Purchases are Getting More Risky?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
The same thing is happening to me as we speak. I ordered an “expensive to me” pipe from a highly regarded Italian pipe shop (probably the same as OP). My item was denied clearance by US customs because I “might use the pipe to smoke illegal drugs.” Spent the better part of the week tracking down this information only to find out the pipe is being sent back to the shipper. No one cared to let me know. Now I’ve worked with this Italian company for years and will continue to do so because their prices and service (for the most part) is unmatched. I’ve never had this issue with them until now. I’ve been assured this is all being resolved. I was obsessing over this pipe for months, scratching up enough money to finally get it, now this. Looks like I’ll just have to wait a little longer. Somehow “the check cleared” already though...go figure!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I've bought 2 pipes from Ireland over the past few years, 1 from SP Europe. But this is making me doubt I should attempt that again.

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
The same thing is happening to me as we speak. I ordered an “expensive to me” pipe from a highly regarded Italian pipe shop (probably the same as OP). My item was denied clearance by US customs because I “might use the pipe to smoke illegal drugs.” Spent the better part of the week tracking down this information only to find out the pipe is being sent back to the shipper. No one cared to let me know. Now I’ve worked with this Italian company for years and will continue to do so because their prices and service (for the most part) is unmatched. I’ve never had this issue with them until now. I’ve been assured this is all being resolved. I was obsessing over this pipe for months, scratching up enough money to finally get it, now this. Looks like I’ll just have to wait a little longer. Somehow “the check cleared” already though...go figure!
Hello my Friend,
who was the shipper (in my case its was FedEx) call them and ask to speak with the International liaison for FedEx they are Custom Brokers and the woman who I spoke with had the Pipe released in 24 hours I believe all European shipment come in through Tennessee....Maybe they can assist you ...DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS PIPE BUT MAYBE IN THE FUTURE DON'T BUY OUT OF THE USA...BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR PROBLEM!
Philip

Reactions: samanden
Oct 7, 2016
FedEx seems to be the service that is having issues right now. As I mentioned in another thread, Novelli has switched from using FedEx for pipes to using DHL. I know of a US customer who was spending on average a grand a month with them who, even though he eventually got his pipes at no extra expense, got tired of the hassle with maybe 3 out of 5 shipments and just flat quit buying from them.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So the FDA got involved in this? Wtf
new regulations passed under last guy in office. Had a tin for putting snus in get stopped and got a call from the fda asking me what it was and what it was made out of. Fun stuff.
Oh forgot the issue is any tobacco paraphernalia and making sure it isn't toxic. So I could see a Mumert getting dinged a lot easier then a more traditional pipe. Why because some his pipes I would be hesitant to smoke from if I didn't know who made them and if the stain or wood wasn't something whacked out.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I've bought 2 pipes from Ireland over the past few years, 1 from SP Europe. But this is making me doubt I should attempt that again.
my advice is to wait a little bit. It seems like they're getting their shit together as they go and pretty soon it shouldn't really be as much of an issue. It's more newish law gets thrown at bureaucrats to enforce and they'll be a little overly active until they know the lay of the land so to speak.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
honestly I've seen how it's kind of moving in waves. First it was metal carrying tins that got the business and now it's briar and meer. Now I've ordered international several empty tins to put tobacco in with zero issue but for a a few months it was pretty clockwork that they'd get stopped.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Hello my Friend,
who was the shipper (in my case its was FedEx) call them and ask to speak with the International liaison for FedEx they are Custom Brokers and the woman who I spoke with had the Pipe released in 24 hours I believe all European shipment come in through Tennessee....Maybe they can assist you ...DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS PIPE BUT MAYBE IN THE FUTURE DON'T BUY OUT OF THE USA...BEST OF LUCK WITH YOUR PROBLEM!
Philip
Thanks for the advice! I’ll give it a shot.

Reactions: sleepy57

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Despite my country’s stance on tobacco, our legislation specifically states that pipes cannot be imported unless they are tobacco pipes. I’ve had zero issues with importing pipes, except once where the seller accidentally wrote “tobacco pipe” around the wrong way. Customs rung me and we had a good laugh.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Despite my country’s stance on tobacco, our legislation specifically states that pipes cannot be imported unless they are tobacco pipes. I’ve had zero issues with importing pipes, except once where the seller accidentally wrote “tobacco pipe” around the wrong way. Customs rung me and we had a good laugh.
wait they wrote pipe tobacco or epip occabot?

• Haha
Reactions: Ahi Ka