PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:

Are all my pipes army mount? And can you remove the stem when hot?

Are all pipes with metal surrounding the mortise considered an army mount? Thus are they safe to remove the stem from the shank when it's warm?
I have a peterson 999. It has a nice silver band around the mortise. I have 4th generation pies that have this metal band around the mortise with 4th generation written on it. I have a 2022 peterson christmas edition army mount. (neither peterson is a system, but they both have copper or metal around the mortise.
The 4th generation I'm most interested in, it would be nice to know I can remove the stem during mid smoke. The pertersons, the same thing as the 999 like sto gurgle and the christmas edition likes to clog with tobacco bits.

I was under the impression only standard system and spigot pipes were removable when hot. Now I'm thinking the bulk of my pipes which all have this so-called army mount are okay too!?
Appreciate your advice, thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Can I remove the stem from all of these pipes while it's warm due to the metal around the shank?

Attachments

• 20240314_191355.jpg
    20240314_191355.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240314_191416.jpg
    20240314_191416.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240314_191425.jpg
    20240314_191425.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240314_191437.jpg
    20240314_191437.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240314_191450.jpg
    20240314_191450.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240314_191457.jpg
    20240314_191457.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240314_191515.jpg
    20240314_191515.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Love
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Generally I find no problem in removing a stem on a pipe during a smoke. What seems to be an issue is forcing a stem when the pipe is hot. I have pipes that I have removed the stem immediately after every smoke, one of those pipes was my only pipe since 1994 to some time in the early 2000s.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Metal band on shank doesn't mean it's an army mount.

Army and spigot mounts are the same thing except spigot mount also has metal on the stem as well (at least with regard to Petersons).

Army/military/spigot is a tapered tenon rather than a straight push tenon.
Tapered tenon and tapered mortise (for those whom it might not be obvious to).

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Take my experience with a large grain of salt and caution, but I remove any of my stems at will. I also apply carnauba wax to the tenons maybe every other month because I like a smooth fit. If I feel a tenon starting to stick, I hit it with a coat of wax. Summers are less risky, winter is much tighter due to the low humidity that causes shrinking in my area.

I also don't care if I snap a shank with the exception of 1 pipe so I'm playing with house money most of the time.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Army mounts are different from most shown on your pictures. The army mounts have tapered stem that can be fitted into mortise by friction. There won't be separate tenon like typical pipes.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Generally I find no problem in removing a stem on a pipe during a smoke. What seems to be an issue is forcing a stem when the pipe is hot. I have pipes that I have removed the stem immediately after every smoke, one of those pipes was my only pipe since 1994 to some time in the early 2000s.
So you can remove to clean, but should wait until it cools to put the stem back in?

To verify, only my peterson copper mount can be taken apart and put back together safely when warm?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If stem is out for whatever reason, I would put it back asap.

I have never had a problem removing a stem when warm—not hot.

At the same time, preferred method is to run hot tap water into the bowl and out the stem while the pipe is still hot/warm.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
If stem is out for whatever reason, I would put it back asap.

I have never had a problem removing a stem when warm—not hot.

At the same time, preferred method is to run hot tap water into the bowl and out the stem while the pipe is still hot/warm.
Running water on the pipe!? Wouldn't thos damage the cake and the pipe. I read someone say they clean there pipe under the tap after a smoke and thought they were joking. I'll need to Google this!

Reactions: Piping Abe
Running water on the pipe!? Wouldn't thos damage the cake and the pipe. I read someone say they clean there pipe under the tap after a smoke and thought they were joking. I'll need to Google this!
I rince all of my pipes that I have smoked in the sink each night... mostly. I am not strictly dogmatic about this, but I try to be. It does not hurt the cake or the briar. We have many members who use this process and have been for many years.

Google "pipesmagazine + water + flush+ pipes" to get a list of discussions. We've been doing this for many years, and there is going to always be someone who says that it absolutely will destroy a pipe. Read the threads. It's hilarious. I have really nice pipes, and rinse them all with no issues.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I rince all of my pipes that I have smoked in the sink each night... mostly. I am not strictly dogmatic about this, but I try to be. It does not hurt the cake or the briar. We have many members who use this process and have been for many years.

Google "pipesmagazine + water + flush+ pipes" to get a list of discussions. We've been doing this for many years, and there is going to always be someone who says that it absolutely will destroy a pipe. Read the threads. It's hilarious. I have really nice pipes, and rinse them all with no issues.
Wow, thank you!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So you can remove to clean, but should wait until it cools to put the stem back in?

To verify, only my peterson copper mount can be taken apart and put back together safely when warm?
no. The thing I have experienced is that you should not force the stem if it's resisting being removed and if you leave it out while the pipe cools it can crack a shank. In fact leaving a stem out in a none army mount can cause issues if there is enough fluctuation in temperature or humidity.

Reactions: jpmcwjr