PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
So I was looking into some English and balkan blends today and this kept popping up. Doing as I usually do, I jumped on TR to see what others think. What I saw was more 4 star reviews on a bulk blend I've ever seen so far. Is this stuff really that good let me know so you can add to my TAD a tad bit lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So I was looking into some English and balkan blends today and this kept popping up. Doing as I usually do, I jumped on TR to see what others think. What I saw was more 4 star reviews on a bulk blend I've ever seen so far. Is this stuff really that good let me know so you can add to my TAD a tad bit lol.
Don't let labels fool you. It's a blend produced by STG and is the same as Stokkebye Balkan Supreme, P&C Balkan Supreme, and a few others depending on who's distributing it. Years ago it was speculated that it may even be the bulk form of Balkan Sasieni.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Well the reason I ask is because like damn, for a bulk that is considered the same blend with a different name from different blenders. Yet the others I see are not as highly rated, I don't think P&C B Supreme ever won any awards that I know of. And if Stokkebye really did have the rights to the original and balkan Sasieni says its a match to the old Sobranie and Germains makes the new stuff which is not so highly regarded but still extremely expensive. My thoughts are if they were all entered in a contest for best Balkan Sobranie 759 recreation but not labeled the names which would come out on top as the most like in comparison to the original. Would the Arango beat out the rest or would the Germains concor all or would the cheapo's prevail. Would be a fun contest.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Would the Arango beat out the rest or would the Germains concor all or would the cheapo's prevail.
The Arango's tie in is just who is distributing it and where. It was originally listed as Stokkebye but still produced by STG. It's like the 1-Q of Balkan blends.
Screenshot_20240325_164225_Samsung Internet.jpg

Never really been a fan of anything produced by Germains.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Try it for yourself. It's not my favorite latakia blend but lots of folks like it.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Sutliff Match BS 759 is better than Arango Balkan Supreme in my opinion though. That's also worth trying.

You might try the Sutliff match BSOM too, that's closer to the Arango BS, though I think the Arango is the better of those two.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
I think it's worth trying. Can't really say if it's a match for any long lost blends but I don't much care. I like it for what it is... a simple, reliable Latakia blend. It's maybe a little spicier than some of the others due to a little perique which you'll either like or hate. I normally hate it, but it's really well integrated here and I like what it adds.

One of the great things about the bulk stuff at SP is that you can just order an ounce so you can see if you like it which is a pretty low commitment.

I also like C&D Star of the East (normal, not gold or flake) which to me is more mellow than BS and almost monotone but still very good in its own way. Room note isn't going to win any wife-approval awards though. Father Dempsey is also good. A little more middle of the road, but still a good reliable smoke.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well the reason I ask is because like damn, for a bulk that is considered the same blend with a different name from different blenders. Yet the others I see are not as highly rated, I don't think P&C B Supreme ever won any awards that I know of. And if Stokkebye really did have the rights to the original and balkan Sasieni says its a match to the old Sobranie and Germains makes the new stuff which is not so highly regarded but still extremely expensive. My thoughts are if they were all entered in a contest for best Balkan Sobranie 759 recreation but not labeled the names which would come out on top as the most like in comparison to the original. Would the Arango beat out the rest or would the Germains concor all or would the cheapo's prevail. Would be a fun contest.
I don't think any of it is a match for 759, which is different from the original smoking mixture. Germain's Balkan Sobranie is no match for the Sobranie original, nor Gallaher's version.

I bought a couple of pounds of Balkan Supreme about 10 years ago, shortly before I lost my taste for Latakia. I'm going to have to see if I can find wherever it's buried and give it a try.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Nothing today is going to taste quite like the Sobranie mixtures from the so- called "glory" days. If you could snare a tin that's decades old you might find it to be kind of bland or it may have evolved into something truly wonderful. For sure, it's going to be different than an un-aged tin. Remember also that the tobacco of today is different and of lesser quality on the average than the leaf of decades past. The English/ Balkan blends that are around today are plentiful and many are pretty good. Keep sampling and you will find find several blends that will work for you.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I used to think this stuff was the bees knees but I also sometimes find it kinda “meh” as the kids say.

I personally way prefer C&D Super Balkan, which has perique and burley in addition to the three staples of English blends (I think ABS also has black cavendish).

But if you are going to start exploring Balkans, definitely check out GL Pease Westminster and Samarra (plus lots of others, I just think these are two of his most approachable).

Anyway, the point is, there are lots of other balkans/Englishes out there. I’ve tried quite a few that I liked, maybe a couple that I loved, and some that just didn’t do it for me.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
To my palate, Arango Balkan Supreme is a magnificently balanced blend, an elegant, delightful smoke that compares favorably to the top Balkans on the market. It's astounding that such a good tobacco is available (and affordable) in bulk.

When I smoke it, I feel the art and craft of the blender and producers coming through, and I appreciate it as an example of the almost magical human ability to draw out essences from raw materials and arrange then meaningfully. It's uplifting in the same way viewing great art is uplifting. But I don't bother to rate pieces of great art against each other. It's okay to say they can be great and yet different from each other without needing one to be a 'winner'.

But many smokers want flavors to jump out at them; they aren't so interested in elegance and balance, but are always on the hunt for more flavor or more of a particular flavor. These smokers may naturally rate Arango lower on their scale.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I used to think this stuff was the bees knees but I also sometimes find it kinda “meh” as the kids say.

I personally way prefer C&D Super Balkan, which has perique and burley in addition to the three staples of English blends (I think ABS also has black cavendish).

But if you are going to start exploring Balkans, definitely check out GL Pease Westminster and Samarra (plus lots of others, I just think these are two of his most approachable).

Anyway, the point is, there are lots of other balkans/Englishes out there. I’ve tried quite a few that I liked, maybe a couple that I loved, and some that just didn’t do it for me.
+ 1 for C&D Super Balkan , a lil more Burley oomph with your Orientals

Reactions: Singularis

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
Hands down my favorite regardless of its distribution history. Not just my favorite bulk blend but favorite period. I’m not skilled enough at breaking down its attributes or why it’s my favorite. It simple hits all the buttons for me. I have a few pounds stored so I don’t have to do without it. Also, I keep
a little of it mixed with perique for when that muse comes calling. I can’t recommend it enough and bulk pricing too!