Anyone Use Black Silicone Tips for Stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
Reactions: Ebarber

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I use them sometimes on some pipes.

They are nice for driving and one member recommended putting them in backwards to reduce the size at button…it’s actually pretty handy. Mine get bite marks from driving…and probably prevents cracked stems.

I’m glad I found them, but prefer smoking without them.

Reactions: Ebarber

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Used them for a while but no longer. It made the bit thicker, which I found to be uncomfortable, collected saliva and discolored ebonite stems. I clench very rarely therefore the inconvenience of using them was a dealbreaker.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I use about a 3/4” piece of shrink tubing on my clays. Easy on, tight fit and comfortable. Never thought to try it on my other pipes but thinking about it now.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I've used silicon pipe bits and friction tape. Never found them super-comfortable. More importantly, I found I had to remove the bits or tape regularly to clean the stems, especially if they were vulcanite, otherwise the bits underneath were a mess. I eventually decided it wasn't worth it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

k o h l e w

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
. . . always mobile
I use the BJLong Soft Rubber Pipe Bits ($1.29 for two) sold by Missouri Meerschaum and I really dig how they protect the acrylic or vulcanite stems from teeth. I don’t clench, mostly smoke out of hand, but when I need two hands and can’t put a pipe down it is nice to be able to bite into that rubber for a sec. Since I do thorough maintenance on all the pipes, there’s no build up or funk with these rubber bits.

Reactions: Swiss Army Knife