Anyone restore the wood on wooden chisels using the techniques for a pipe restore?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 28, 2023
I'm getting into woodworking more (I eventually want to make pipes but there's so much to learn first) and bought a few chisels off ebay to get started. They are old and need a lot of work but they look like they have good bones.

All the people who explain how to restore a chisel completely ignore the wood or only mention it in passing and almost exclusively focus on the metal. I think the only remark I've heard is "don't go beyond 400 grit or it'll be too smooth". That's it. No oiling, nothing.

I bought the restoration balm for pipes and man that stuff is amazing- the wood feels almost velvety. I have a fat semi bent that feels wonderful in my hand now. I am tempted to try it on a chisel but I'm not sure. So anyone here have advice from a pipe restoring mindframe on how to deal with a chisel's wood handle?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm getting into woodworking more (I eventually want to make pipes but there's so much to learn first) and bought a few chisels off ebay to get started. They are old and need a lot of work but they look like they have good bones.

All the people who explain how to restore a chisel completely ignore the wood or only mention it in passing and almost exclusively focus on the metal. I think the only remark I've heard is "don't go beyond 400 grit or it'll be too smooth". That's it. No oiling, nothing.

I bought the restoration balm for pipes and man that stuff is amazing- the wood feels almost velvety. I have a fat semi bent that feels wonderful in my hand now. I am tempted to try it on a chisel but I'm not sure. So anyone here have advice from a pipe restoring mindframe on how to deal with a chisel's wood handle?
It will be extremely useful to have photos to see what you are referring to
eg "they are old and need a lot of work" could mean different things to different people 🤔

I have used briar balm (different brands of products) on my wooden kitchen (Japanese) knife handles with good effect.
But I keep these in pristine condition

Reactions: crashthegrey

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Not much of a handy man, so take what I say with a huge pinch of salt

I believe the common advice is to use boiled linseed oil to restore wooden tool handles

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Not much of a handy man, so take what I say with a huge pinch of salt

I believe the common advice is to use boiled linseed oil to restore wooden tool handles

Boiled linseed oil is okay. It takes at least 24 hours to dry, best to apply three coats.

If you like to use your chisel tomorrow take another product as any compound of commercial wood wax or take bees or carnauba wax. Rub it in with a piece of cloth.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Is it done? Sure. Do we talk about it? No. A handle on a chisel is utilitarian. I spend more time worrying about the pipe than the appearance of my tools. Often, any moment spent fiddling with tools is considered time wasted when you have a pile of pipes to finish. That's probably the main reason there is not more discussion of it. Great idea, though.