Anyone Have Experience With Buying Pipes At Estate Sales?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Just like the topic says.
I was considering stopping by one for the first time this weekend. Its way out of the way but I thought if I could score some pipes then it might be worth it. No clue on prices and the pictures don't show much detail.
http://fromatozestatesales.com/Surprise

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
I'd be willing to bet with that many pipes there are bound to be some worth adding to your collection.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Lucky sonuva.....
I have been going to estate sales for the last 2 years. Shit I work part time for an estate sale company even now...
I have only once seen more than 4 ratty ass pipes at a sale, and they were so trashed I wouldn't pull the trigger.
I know of a guy in California who got a whole estate pipe collection BEFORE a company got their meathooks in it. He sold them off here and on ebay and everyone prospered. We all got good deals, he made a bit of $ and got to keep some of the best pipes.
If those are decent pipes, work with them on a lowball offer on the whole batch and then sell off the ones you don't want.
Make an educated bid, Don't offer $30/ pipe when they are all grabows from the '70s. Look them over and use due diligence with regards to condition.
I am literally drooling at that find.
If you don't get the whole lot, good luck on finding good pipes at even better prices there!
Let us know what you get there!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
No collectables in that bunch that I can see.
I did some estate finds & flips for Barry Levin back in the day (30 years ago), and collections like that one belonged to people we referred to as "tobacco smokers."
If they have any valuable pieces, they're usually few in number---special occasion gifts from friends and family. (A Charatan Exec for his 50th birthday, for example)

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
I know about enough to be dangerous so I can't say with much confidence that I'd know how to properly negotiate the entire lot. They are advertising it as trains and pipes so I imagine they may be pretty firm on the pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, it'll be great to comb through this lot!
IMG_4311.jpg

jesperff

Lurker
Aug 5, 2017
Don't forget to ask if there is also some tobacco, they may not have thrown out the boxes with Balkan Sobranie yet.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
uuuuuuuuggggggg. Almost had the chance to go to this estate sale. But my trip out from New Mexico got cancelled last night at the last minute. :crying:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If we have an estate sale pro here, he'd know. My guess is that an estate sale is a professionalized yard sale, so the values of things might be a little more researched, so you won't find any Dunhills for five bucks, as you might in a yard or garage sale. Unless you plan to go into business restoring pipes, I'd buy a few selectively after looking them over carefully, and take some pipe cleaners to run through them. Pipes tend to stay in your life, so I wouldn't stock up just to store them.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
From my experiences you either find pipes for half to a quarter of what they are worth or you'll find that someone in charge of pricing went and googled "estate pipes", saw one for $300, and decided all the pipes they have must be worth at least $300.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
MSO, You would think that there would be someone that would know, and in a collection that size I am sure someone put some time into pricing. The problem is the time put in is seldom by anyone with an inkling about tobacciana. Therefore you end up with a situation like Paddypiper describes. That has been my experience, minus the some for half of what they are worth. The ones here are always too high and always in crap shape.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Here's what I picked up
img_20170908_095843-600x450.jpg

img_20170908_095930-600x450.jpg

From top left:

Sav Bent Pot - $15

Fischer Cutty - $10

Sav 7003 - $15

Sav 316KS - $15

Sav 614? - $15
From Top Right

GBD 1003? - $8

GBD 1751 - $10

Fischer Margate - $5

Franciscan - $15
There was a ton of crap for $10-35. No Dunhills or anything high dollar. I sifted through most of it along with a number of other people who were just throwing pipes into their bag. Im not sure whether they purchased them or wanted to sift through them away from every one else. Not a bad way to spend a bit of time before heading into the office.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good picks, for sure. The prices are excellent, and the pipes look in good shape. You might find a flaw or needed repair, but think what you would have paid for these online as estate pipes at retail! I do love a bargain.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
@jpmcwjr it's the first time I've come across a 4 digit Sav in the wild

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Awesome picks! I really like that Fischer cutty--looks great! Impressed with your selection.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Wait, spoke too soon--that GBD 1751--is that the one that's sort of paneled, and then it transitions into a square, curved shank & stem? That's amazing. That's a really cool pipe.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Yup, it's paneled. Very deep bowl. It's stamped premier conquest.
It's pretty much this pipe but with a full bend
https://www.smokershaven.com/gbd-estate-pipe-premier-conquest-1750-1-8-bent-square-shank-panel-scoop/
It just needs some TLC

Status
Not open for further replies.