Anyone Have a Morta Norse Dog from Vermont Freehand?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Have been thinking about picking one up. I like the looks of them. They're Steve Norse's take on the Bo Dog, but done with morta. I don't have any mortas but it sounds like they may be good for latakia. Just curious if anyone has one and what they think of it?
Thanks.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...but it sounds like they may be good for latakia."
Where did you hear that Latakia smokes particularly well in a morta pipe? I personally can't see how the material of the pipe has any bearing on how a particular leaf tastes especially after the pipe is broken in.
Regards,
Jay.

I personally can't see how the material of the pipe has any bearing on how a particular leaf tastes especially after the pipe is broken in.

I notice that the oaky-musty taste of the morta adds a distinctive and pleasant aroma to the latakia. I don't care for Virginias in them, but I guess it depends on how someone's palate adjusts. Briar adds a distinctive bass note to my Virginias that I love. To me the pipes adds to the flavor, very subtle, but I notice it.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Where did you hear that Latakia smokes particularly well in a morta pipe? I personally can't see how the material of the pipe has any bearing on how a particular leaf tastes especially after the pipe is broken in.
On the internet of course :)
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/morta-pipes-opinions-or-experience

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/morta-smokers-report-please

http://pipechat.one/forum/index.php?topic=209.0

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the links. While I understand a new pipe might impart some flavour but a well used one with a slight cake?
I wonder if in a blind smoke, five used briar pipes and five used morta pipes and the blend of the smoker's choice, could the difference be detected? I would wager not.
Anyway, good luck on your pipe hunt...someone is bound to come up with something.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I need some education here, please. I thought morta was petrified wood, and so the organic composition has been replaced by minerals. If so, isn't morta literally a stone pipe?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cortez, my understanding is that morta is not fully fossilized, if it were it would be coal or jet. Some morta is only a few hundred years old, far too young to have become fossilized proper. Even the stuff that is a few thousand years old may still not fully fossilized.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.